Thursday, August 6, 2009

Whoops - I did it again!!!

Hi Everyone!

Aren't you glad that our heat wave has gone and back to our normal summer weather? I know I am!!!





My IV Tech - hiding behind her mask - she was great


Waiting for the alcohol to dry


Putting in the iv - it really doesn't hurt!

Just doing the saline flush

Another chemo day!! Went to the ambulatory day care to get my paperwork and ID bracelet – I am not in the system – seems the gal that booked me previously did it wrong and assumed that I was going to the regular lab. But Megan was there and she knows me, so she got the paperwork faxed and sent me over to Medical Day Care. There are more pictures of that today – as never took the camera before and no one came with me!!! So it shows the room where it is done – part office, part supply room, part procedure room! Once they move into the new building will be much nicer!


Putting in the clotting agent - twice this time!

Well, I managed to do it again this week! Yup – another reaction – and yes, the same one and almost at the same time as last weeks!! Leslie was my nurse today along with Erin who is brand new. We had discussed some of what has been happening to me over the last week – ie the side effects. And with some of them, to take meds earlier rather than later – which does make sense. They were quite concerned over the ringing in the ears, which is a major one – I had some but nothing to worry about but had had blocked ears. Leslie said that if I was to get the ringing big time, they might have to change the drugs that I am on – but it a wait and see basis!


Tina came with me today – former co-worker and good friend. We had a lot of fun with all of the nurses – and I am meaning ALL – they all come at one point at the same time – ok, they were laughing!!! And I know she was not bored at all!

They started with the Gemcitabine – which takes about 30 minutes to go though the IV – in theory! Leslie would walk by me and check to ensure that nothing was happening. I was chatting with a new patient and her daughter as well as Tina.


When Tina mentions that my eye
looks a little puffy… oh great, not again! And it appeared as quickly as last week. And it was getting itchy. Leslie happened to look and came right over, and shut off the medication and instantly put in the benadryl. She then called Dr P and he laughed – was so funny… she told him I had been waiting for him since last week and I was hungry and cranky from the long wait!!! He then told her to give me the hydrocortisone via the IV. That takes a bit to make up and then she connected me. We had a very good laugh – every single nurse came over – you aren’t supposed to get this type of reaction and not two weeks in a row and not at the almost same time!!! My file now has two HOT pink stickers on the cover and in the file – allergic reactions. From now on, will have the pre-meds done before the chemo starts!!

Once the bag was empty and she let me sit for a bit, then Leslie started up the medication and it finished – and then did the Cisplatin – which is a more powerful and strong drug – and it does nothing!!

By the time all was done and finished, it was almost 6 by the time we got out of there – and we headed to Central City Pub for a pint and some dinner and just a good chat!!

Next appointments are Monday August 10 at 8amSurrey Memorial Hospital for the liver ultrasound. August 18 at 9:00 – Dr. Pansegrau. August 20 – Medical Day Care and Cancer Clinic – blood work and chemo. August 27 - Medical Day Care and Cancer Clinic – blood work and chemo. Times to be determined.












Leslie and Erin

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, you are as amazing as ever.I hope you enjoyed the drinkies after. Glad the heat has subsided a little. hugs Sandra E

Anonymous said...

God bless you Roni! I was going to say the same thing about the heat but Sandra beat me to it :-)) I'm glad you have such wonderful nurses and friends by your side. I'll be even happier when you get to have the chemo without the side effects.
big hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're fast getting this up so quickly after our chemo "date". Glad that things went relatively smoothly today. As Roni has often said on the blog, the chemo clinic staff are a hoot (hence my ridiculous grin in the picture--we're actually having a good time).

We may all know just how special Roni is, but she is proving it again. This allergic reaction is totally baffling to the chemo staff-- these chemo drugs have a list of potential side effects as long as your arm, and Roni has to come up with something completely new! Here's to hoping that means you get a lighter dose (or none!) of everything else.

As usual, Roni, I am amazed by your attitude and approach to this battle-- a lesson for us all in resiliency. Cancer has really picked a formidable foe in you, and in Marilyn, the other patient in the clinic. Go get 'em ladies!

Much love, Tina

Donna said...

Hi Roni,

What are we going to do with you???? I have finally managed to get into the blog!! Woo hoo!

I’m off to work for a bit today, then going to sit with my cousin at RCH while her husband is having a brain tumour removed. He went from having the flu 5 weeks ago now, to a brain tumour being removed this afternoon.

He has a “mass/lump” on his lung as well, just discovered 3 weeks ago but they feel that is all secondary at this point. He turned 51 yesterday – so any prayers are most welcome.


You know looking at your photo’s, you sure do look great considering what is going on in your body!!!!


Sorry I didn’t make your barby....Phil’s Dad had a dementia moment the night before...and well....he decided to drive his car through that thunder and lightening storm...he thought he was at Kingsway and Victoria..but, he was on highway 1,at the 152nd exit – just over the Port Mann bridge! He hit someone else...his car is a write off (thank goodness...he wasn’t hurt! Or anyone else). Now we are working on getting him all organized with assessments and whatnot. It was a real wake up call for the family,I’ve been on them since last December with things I’ve seen.....but to them it was old age...nope, it’s not. Now, they believe me.

So, Lots going on in our world...but then it never seems to be a dull moment.

I think of you everyday and send up my prayers for your cancer journey to be over with soon and just plain gone!

Sending you a hug – until we connect,

Love Donna

Rita H said...

Hey Roni, just read your updated blog - what shitty news! Girl you have the will and strength of an OX!! You are an amazing woman and an utter inspiration to me!! :) It was nice to see the pictures ... and how sweet that Tina came along with you!! She's a great gal.... I gotta write her too!

We just got back from 2 weeks vacation (we were away at your annual BBQ time) and I'm trying to catch up!

Thanks for always keeping me in the loop ....

ciao for now bella...
Rita

BCSugar said...

Hi Roni,

So glad your session went (relatively) well yesterday! Well, except for the puffy eye reaction again... lol You're gonna baffle 'em each time with that one! You should keep it up, I think! (heehee)

It was nice that you posted more photos this time, too! Good job on bringing your camera! See?? Sometimes the forgetfulness that comes with old age does give you a break every now and then, huh? I know..., I's a gonna git smacked for that comment!!

Thought that since my comment made you cry last time, that this time I should put a wee smile on your face!

Take care, my dear friend. I'll see you later this afternoon - friends, family, food, drinks and a patio - what more could we ask for on a dreary, overcast, slightly cool Friday afternoon?? lol

love ya!!!

DesignTies said...

With your positive outlook and joyous personality, it's no wonder all the nurses came by to see you - they're drawn to your phenominal energy... just like the rest of us (your friends!)

I don't drop by here often, but please know that I'm thinking about you... I watch your status updates on Facebook, too!!

Love, Victoria

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, I bet you are glad for a 2 week break now.... I honestly don't know how you keep up the pace that you do. You have the stamina of a sailor on shore leave!!! (hee hee) And you are a complete and total inspiration to me and I am sure everyone else who knows you. I am looking forward to connecting with you in September, when I am back and things have calmed down. (who am I kidding) Enjoy the next 2 weeks, I will try to pop on when I can find internet and check up on you... I will think of you when I am on the beach in Turkey!! Taking a piece of you with me... Love ya Rae

Kim M said...

Hey lovely lady! I'm sitting here in a university computer lab, in Scotland, but I'm still thinking of you, and praying for your health. Stay positive (i know you will be) love you tons!

Kim M

Anonymous said...

Roni, Roni, Roni - as you said - you've done this already. Time for other things - BETTER, much more FUN things (not that it's not fun to visit the lovely nurses at the cancer unit).

Sorry I wasn't up on the news - my mom had a heart attack and that has been my focus (but have thought of you and sent good thoughts your way). Ardene told me as she's here for her dad's surgery (broke his hip Friday). I'll call you this soon.

Keep the faith breast friend
Hugs, love & laughter, Bonnie
PS - love the "do" isn't it time for a haircut it's getting awfully long! LOL