Saturday, August 7, 2010

Heat, E3 Wedding, EPO + Y&R

HEAT, #3 WEDDING, EOP AND Y&R


Atasha and Brandon were married last weekend and she was such a beautiful bride. Loved watching her walk down the aisle on the arm of her Dad and carrying her little baby Emery – all dressed up in his tux. They even had his soother matching the flowers – was so cute! Patrick as well as Meghan, Corey and Madelynn were there. Ryan got to spend the day and night with Auntie Shannon and Uncle Dwayne!

Doc appts on Thursday went great. Dr. Klimo had me get another lung xray to compare with the one in June. Left lung clear - wahooo!! Right lung - damn pleural fluid is building up again, so it is a wait and see what happens. There is still a good sized mass in the front of the lung. My shortness of breath is getting worse. He will wait and see how I am the next time I see him. He is also putting me on another drug - erythropoietin aka EPO - the drug that Lance Armstrong was accused of using when he was charged with doping during his races. It adds oxygen to the red cells. Also saw the neurologist Dr. Cameron - and he agrees with the emerg doc and Klimo. I have done something to the sciatic nerve. He is sending me for a ct scan of my back and then will see what happens. When he was examining me, I had a back spasm - at least it did it when seeing a doctor! No heavy lifting, no vacuuming, now twisting or turning. Go easy on the back - I can do that :). Should have the scan in the next few weeks and will see Dr. Cameron afterwards to get the results.

Chemo on Friday went fine, though down another kilo in weight. They are getting worried on that - I am happy with it....LOL but I do understand where they are coming from. Colleen came with me, so didn't have to worry about driving. And my chemo has been extended till Oct 29. And it is helping me so that is ok with me. I have been told to drink more fluids - hell, I drink a ton of it now. And eat more - but it is hard to eat when you are not hungry, ya know what I mean. I went to talk to the System Management nurse, Laura, but she had taken her son for x-rays, - so I will phone her on Monday so that we can discuss the drug further. You take it 3 times a week and it is self injection and comes prefilled. Colleen and I then went out to the pub for some libation! It was nice to have some girl time. She doesn't get to drive me often so nice when we can do it.

Saturday I was at a Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation - Tea with the Stars - some of the cast members from the Young and the Restless. Held at the Marriott Pinnacle in Vancouver. I was down for only working about 90 minutes, the rest I got to smooze, eat and enjoy the show. It was a riot! Kate Linder (who has played Esther, the maid, for 28 years) started coming to Vancouver 12 years ago. Along with her were Christian LeBlanc (Michael Baldwin), Stacey (Patti/Mary Ellen) and Michael (Adam Newman). The live auction was so much fun to watch! Over $25,000 raised I think – so that was awesome. I was one of the few lucky volunteers who got to sit with the guests - nice to have a “reserved” sign as to where to sit! And a great bunch of people at the table. What was even better, was hearing from the president of the CBCF, that there is a joint imitative with the CBCF, BCCA and provincial government to be announced that, by 2020 – Breast Cancer will no longer be a terminal illness, no more deaths from it but rather a
chronic illness that is treatable. That was fantastic news to hear for sure. The room exploded with applause!!!

Our weather has been fantastic!!!!! Today is our first day of rain in weeks! It is much needed for both the lower mainland but more so for the rest of the province where a large number of forest fires are burning. It can rain all day today and then stop! I much prefer the sun and warmth. But guess beggars can’t be choosers!!

Well, that is about all for now. More after my next chemo treatment.

Hope to hear from lots of you - missing your comments and of course your stories.... guess with smummer still hanging round, some folks may be away!
Hugz and love
Roni

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, just noticed that your blog had been updated. Just happened to be on the computer when it popped up. Have not been on computer too much this summer like everyone else I guess.

So you were hobnobbing with the stars of Y&R? Pretty cool.
You are one very active lady I see with all that you do.

Keep on fighting the good fight Roni, you are quite the determined lady and I love the fact that you never give up and throw in the towel, which with all the crap that you have to put up with, would be too easy to do.

I am only wishing the very best for you now and in the future.

Sending hugs
Love Daphne Choquette

Anonymous said...

Well, great minds and all that - I was on my computer when my inbox "sang" to me in 4 part barbershop harmony (a sound file I found to signal I have mail)

The Tea with the stars sounds fabulous - all of you living with breast cancer are the STARS as far as I am concerned :-)) Hurray for the all clear on one lung - that means the other one can "shape up" too - I'm sending it tons of messages to do so.

Lovely pics of wedding. Keep up the fight Roni - we're all rooting for you!
love, Mavis

The wedding looks fabulous as well

Rae said...

Glad you have good results in your lung,,,, now for the second one to get with the program... I am looking forward to spending time with you on Tuesday!!! We have a lot of catching up to do!! Love ya, Rae

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica....

Great to hear about the lung. Will be routing for the left one. Whatever you are doing, just keep on steppin' on!! Sorry, I couldn't make it to your bbq. Heard from my family everyone had a great time. I have one week left with finals but then this quarter is over and I can finally breathe for a bit. I plan to be up in a few weeks and will make sure to ring you up and come by for tea.

Keep up the good work and we will talk again soon.

Love ya xoxo.... Eileen

Anonymous said...

Great news about the one lung. The other just needs to follow. I'm sure glad you have Dr. Klimo.

Tea with the Soap stars must have been a great experience. You were the VIP there.

Mary Margaret

Ardene said...

Wow, quite the bracelet on your wrist! Good news about the left lung. Now you need a chat with the right one Girlfriend.

yummymomma08 said...

That is awesome news about your left lung!! Hoping your right one clears up too!!

That is a really pretty bracelet.

We are getting excited about our trip out there next week!! It should be an interesting plane ride. Ashton is in the phase of saying "what's that"? what's this? it's driving me bonkers!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Ya know, you’ve just been given license to eat cake and cookies and all those things that you don’t REALLY need to be hungry to enjoy.

Yummy calories, and lots of them - go for it!

NJ

Anonymous said...

Well I wish I was worried about my weight like your doc is with yours. I have the opposite problem right now! :-( I ditto Ardene's comments. So what the heck is with this rogue lung of yours - trying to be like the boobs? One of these things ain't like the other???!! :-0 Smarten up I say. It's being a bit childish going down it's own path don't you think?

As always like to read your updates. Sending good thoughts and hugs your way my angel friend. Til next time, Pink Angel in PG (a.k.a. Bonnie)

Maya Dimapilis said...

Thank you for sharing your Tea experience, Roni. I work at the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and have worked with the event organizers on the Tea for the last three years. I hope that you'll attend next year as my guest. That said, my mom was diagnosed with cancer a few years back and my friend's mom is recently going through treatment now and both have had the fortune of being in Dr. Klimo's care. He is one of the best and I am thrilled to hear that you are in his care as well. I look forward to meeting you in person soon. Thanks for blogging, keeping positive and enjoying life. I sit right next to Kim Hodge at CBCF so you'll know where you can find me. Cheers, Maya Dimapilis

Niki G said...

thanks for the update ron. any chance they'll let you do a cameo on y&r??? is victor still on the show??? am i dating myself???