Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Chemo 5 done and one to go!

Meghan is busy studying for exams, so I will do the blog today!!! One more to go!!!!!!


I got the results of the ultrasound that I had on my left leg before I left the room. Jane, my technician, said she could not see anything that was of concern. If she has seen anything that looked like I clot, she would have sent me immediately to emergency via gurney - so that was very good news.


I still have swelling - which is painful at times - in both of the legs now - though the left is worse than the right. This is fluid retention - another one of the lovely side effects. So keep the legs up when I can, and take the meds that I have.

I had Chemo 5 this morning - went fairly smoothly - except twit me - forgot how to take my meds - I am supposed to take two dexamethasone twice daily for three days.... well, I took 1 twice daily on Tuesday and 1 this morning - that is three, not six! When my chemo nurse, Lesley asked when I took my meds - I told her that I took 1 at three different times and then went crap! This could have stalled me having my chemo today! But she called the oncologist and I got the go ahead and was given the dexamethasone via IV, then the allergy preventatives -and eventually my docetaxal. So landed being at the chemo clinic for three hours! At least the others in my pod were a lot of fun!


I see Dr. Pansegrau on Dec 19. The blood work will be done an hour before the chemo on Dec 24 (great Xmas present, huh!). And that will be it - hopefully. I will have a CT scan in mid January to see how the tumours are shrinking and then will go from there. When we saw Dr. P on Monday, I asked how often I would have to come back for follow-ups. About every 4-6 weeks for blood work and there would be scans as well. We asked about further chemo or if chemo gets to the point where the cancer just ignores it. And he said yes, this can happen - so again we shall wait and see. If after the CT in January further chemo is needed then will go for it. If he thinks not, I may go and see an oncologist on the north shore who looks outside the box - my surgeons can refer me to him. But we shall take it one day at a time and see what the scan says.


Till then, I am going to enjoy December and the Christmas holidays with my family and close friends - this indeed will be a very special Christmas to both Brian and myself!


Ciao for now and if I don't get to write again, Merry Christmas everyone and a very Happy New Year!


Roni





Just between the anti-allergy drugs and the docetaxal






My chemo nurse Lesley

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, One more to go, that's great that you will be done that. I hope you have a great Christmas with your family. Sorry, to hear about the legs, that is a pain in the ass..lol. You are still an inspiration to me everyday, enjoy the holidays, and don't forget I have a snowbank in my front yard..haha.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sandra - see I knew it was you even if you did forget to sign your name!!!! Roni

Cristiana said...

woohoo one more treatment!! Can't wait to see you this Sunday for a nice dinner!!

You are such an amazing woman!!!

BCSugar said...

Hi Roni,

I'm soo glad that you (hopefully) just have one more chemo treatment to go through - at least there's only one more before Christmas!

You still look really good, even though I know you're having 'issues' with fluid retention and such - don't let that get you down - there are bigger things to worry about, like what to pick up for Christmas 'spirits', what gifts to get the kids, and such (lol). You know me, gotta try to make ya smile!!

I'll see you soon - we have to set a date for our 'date'. I have to see how my calendar looks... :-p~~~

Ciao for now! Luv ya!

Niki G said...

hey lady

just checking in. thanks for the blog. i check it every few days to see what is going on. hope to see you in the new year.

xoxo
niki

Anonymous said...

You are looking Fantastic Roni!! Keep up the amazing spirit that you have :) I hope you're enjoying the snow!

Anonymous said...

All my love Roni to you and the family!
Good luck Christmas Eve,will be thinking of you!
Hoping you all have a wonderful Christmas and an even better 2009!
Your FB Friend,Sandy.xxx

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to let you know you are in my thoughts so often even when I don't stop to write. I'll be thinking about you on Dec 24th as you have your chemo treatment. All the best of everything to you and yours this holiday season and all the whole year through. I'm wrapping you in light. God Bless you REAL good!!!
hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

To Roni and all the Readers of this Blog, a very Merry Christmas. I am so excited that Christmas marks the last chemo appointment-- a marker in the stage of the battle, and hopefully a moment for everyone to really stop and appreciate the blessings in our lives. I know we all count Roni among those!

Tina