Monday, February 16, 2009

New Look!

Hi everyone!

Well, now that the initial shock has worn off, I can add a few words.

I, along with lots of help from my family and friends, made it through the first round of chemo. Now we are about to battle the second round and it had better look out. Some of the side effects (rare cases) are a little scary, but for the most part, they are just about identical to the first chemo drug. So, here we go - and what a ride it will be! I plan on kicking some cancer butt!

Today, we (Brian and I) went to see our family doctor - she hadn't received the report yet, so we filled her in. She is a very nice doctor and was quite surprised and very sympathetic. Got my prescriptions for my pain meds - I am good for a while! Though our cabinet now looks like a mini pharmacy!

Later this afternoon, off to another doctor - Meghan came this time, as Brian was off to an interview, but he did make it back - we waited about an hour and a half! Saw my thoracic surgeon, Dr. Bond - I wanted to get a referral to see Dr. Klimo - and he is sending in the requisition for it. He also warned me, that the other oncologists will "get their shorts in a knot", but I just want to see what other options there are out there, other than just the chemo. Dr. P is wonderful and has been very open and honest with us. So, we shall see how long it takes to get in to see Dr. Klimo - he is a very busy doctor and from what I have heard from people who have seen him or have friends/family who have and they all speak very highly of him. And after waiting for all the time we did, Dr. B said we could have just called it in, but he has a new MOA and guess she didn't know about this.

And we have a new hairstyle!!! Guess you will just have to see if it stayed as shown!!!!

I am still waiting to hear from the cancer centre what time my appointment is on Thursday - they could also be waiting to find out my blood work - they took 5 viles this morning! There will be an update sometime on Thursday - will depend on how I feel! But as long as I take all the pre-chemo meds and do as I am told, I think I will be ok! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Thank you all for your kind words on Meghan's post - means a great deal to me for sure!!!

Roni



Just prior to the new "do"- and yes, it does look strange with no eyebrows or eyelashes!
Mohawk, Brian style!
And a back view!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.... Love your new look. I can only imagine how hard it is to wrap your head around everything that has been thrown at you. You have the most supportive hubby and family and you are very lucky to have the support system that you do! Go Team Roni! Beyond that you are such an inspiration to me and I am very grateful that you allow us "in" on your personal journey. You have held nothing back and now here you are again... never giving up always moving forward, and continuing to share and inspire. I for one am proud to be among your long list of friends. God Bless you Roni. Lots of love Rae

Anonymous said...

Well my angel breast friend, so many others have said it, but I must repeat that it is awesome that you can share your journey. I'll pass on some "Relay" words from summitt - people can't always share themselves, but appreciate when others can. For some it helps them deal with their own demons and probably puts some perspective in their lives.

Roni how you can remain upbeat during a time when life is dishing you up some lemons is great & I admit sometimes astounds me. It also makes me VERY PROUD to be considered your friend. I love how you & team Roni keep making lemonade. :-) Summer is coming - lemonade is refreshing! Not that I'd wish cancer on anyone but I'm glad we had it our we wouldn't have met.

Even tho I don't write a lot do know that I keep sending cyber hugs and good thoughts over the miles. Feel that squeeze? That's me! Love ya babe!

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I was very sorry to hear that the chemo results were not what everyone was hoping for and admire your courage and sprit as you continue to fight. You deserve some good news soon and I hope that the next round of treatment will not be too rough and the results better. Spring is on the way and for me that is always a hopeful time of year. The days are getting longer and while we will most likely have snow till Easter in Manitoba, I'm sure you will have things poking up in your garden before long. Enjoy the longer days, the spring blooms and your fabulous family.
Thinking of you,
Marjorie

BCSugar said...

Roni,

I love the new "do"!! Maybe you should consider a longer look of the "Brian Mohawk" after the next round of chemo - what d'you think?? You think you get looks now!

Maybe you could even borrow some of Adam's really BIG ear-hole studs that he used to wear! C'mon, mix it up with the new "do"!

LOL - gotta keep ya on yur toes!

Talk soon, and always as ever, "good luck on Monday"!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I hope everything goes well. I think you are doing an awesome job of handling this. Gotta love the Brian Mohawk! Hope to see you guys soon.
Chris

Niki G said...

that hairstyle is punk rock sister!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you lots (and praying too!)

Love
Pavlina

Anonymous said...

You're a very brave person Roni!! I'm amazed at your strength through this tough journey! My family reads your blog too and we're all rooting (and praying) for you.

Love the mohawk...could call it the new RoMo look.

Take care and see you soon,
Love
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hey Roni - Lunch was good on Saturday as usual. You looked awesome, even if you did shave off that Mohawk! I kind of liked it. I am glad to hear you are feeling okay right now and that so far no side affects. Take it easy and we will see you soon!!!
Trainpeople Kari