Friday, February 13, 2009

Not what we were expecting. . .

Well, it’s been a while since we have done any updating on here. Mom has had her ups and her downs with the side effects lately, but she has been a trooper through it all!!!!

So what’s going on now?? Well, we were hoping for some good news today but that wasn’t really what we got.

Mom had her CT scan and x-ray done on Feb 3rd to determine how the tumors had reacted to the last 3 rounds of chemo. There had been some shrinkage of the tumors after the first 3 rounds so we had some hope that there would have been so shrinkage after the last three. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. The CT scan/x-ray determined that there was growth of the tumors rather than shrinkage. It seems that the docetaxel (the chemo drug Mom was on) stopped working after the first 3 rounds.

You may be wondering what this all means then…


Well, it means that Mom is going to be doing more chemo. Her first round of treatment will be on Feb 19 (next Thursday). She will be doing another 6 rounds (about 4-5 months) on a different drug called AC or BRAVAC. AC stands for A- Doxorubicin and C- Cyclopisopamide. This drug, like docetaxel, is quite strong and has some side effects that can cause some concerns. One of the main ones is that it can cause heart problems, so they will be monitoring Mom closely to make sure she isn’t having any complications of that sort. She is also scheduled to go in and have an echocardiogram (an ultrasound of the heart) on Feb. 22 at 8:30am.

Some of the other side effects that this drug causes are:

  • Hair loss-Mom is going to get Brian to shave what had started to grow back in this weekend.
  • Nausea & vomiting (usually within a couple hours of treatment)
  • Weight loss

Mom will be on the same anti-nausea medication she was on before, only she will have to take it once she is at the cancer clinic just before treatment.

Mom has a couple dr.’s appointments coming up next week-both of which are on Monday. I will be going with Mom to see Dr. Bond (her surgeon) on Monday afternoon to get a referral to go see Dr. Klimo, an oncologist who thinks outside of the box.

Mom had mentioned that it seemed like because there were no new blogs being posted that the comments stopped. She misses seeing them and would love it if people posted a quick line or two-even if it’s just to say hi. :)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn.... Back in the saddle Roni... Get mad and get even. Time to kick some more butt. we are on Team Roni and are in your corner... Fight the fight my dear. We will have you two over for dinner very soon. Let me know how you are feeling... HUGS Rae and Wilkie xoxo

Carol said...

Roni,
We are rooting for you, Girl, and Jesus is too, stay strong, stay positive and beat the Beast!
Our prayers are with you.

Carol, Gladys and Dianne (they are my sisters, and know about you from Facebook)

xxxxxooooo

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni

Really sorry to hear this. Your courage is admirable and I hope this is the last round, thinking of you .
Sandra E

sophie said...

I'm sorry, I know this isn't what you were expecting but I know this time around you will KICK ASS!! You are one tough lady!
I have a cancer quilt as well and I would wrap it around myself during chemo and envision that it was all the loving arms of all my friends and family....it was very comforting and really got me through the zillion attempts to get an IV into me and the shear terror that I sometimes felt. If you bring your quilt, please imagine that I am hugging you from a distance.
I'll be thinking of every step of the way and keep you in my prayers.
Stay strong.
Sophie

BCSugar said...

Roni,

Rick and I were devastated to hear your news today...

I was thinking positive, as I always do, and really had no idea what to say when I heard you give Rick the news about the tumours, and having to go back on chemo so soon again.

I know you can fight a good battle, I've seen it. And your family and friends are fighting the battle beside you - in your corner. This is just a test, and you'll make it through.

"When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow,
Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit."

Anonymous said...

Roni- Huge hugs to you - you have been through so much. If I could zap those tumours and send them running, I would!!! Just know my thoughts and prayers are with you every day!

hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

Stay strong Roni. We're all sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
Dr. Klimo - I knew a gal who saw him - she swore by him Roni - I'm pleased to see you're getting a referral. Have you checked out ratemds.com? Type in his name.
Many hugs, love and wishes for a speedy appt. in Nth.Vanc. Look forward to hearing what approach he would take.

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear you have to go through it all again Roni!
As they all say,you are one tough lady and with all our prayers and wishes.we WILL beat this!
i do wish was closer and then could offer big hugs in person!
All my love from
Sandy, over in England.

Anonymous said...

Roni,

Know that your tea-party sisters are praying for you and are with you along this tough journey.

AC when I went through chemo stood for adrimiacin and cystoxen (sp). Hope this other AC combo does the trick for you.

Hugs from California,

Mary Margaret...
and Shouva too ;-)

Dorothy said...

Roni,
I'm sorry to hear this...you are such a strong woman and that inspires me, good luck with your appointments. All the best
xo

Anonymous said...

pony up cancer...Team Roni is coming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91OQwco7a58

Brian

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni You are always in our thoughts.
Wendy & Sam

Anonymous said...

Roni:
I have never left a message before but have been reading your blog.
I am proud of you and know you will keep fighting.

I have been very busy raising funds for our Relay for Life team - GoFITlam. With every dollar we add to the total, I think of you and hope that in some small way our efforts will help you and others.

Stay strong.

Eleanor

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,
Thank you for giving me your blog, I am deeply touched by reading the entries and the comments. You are clearly deeply loved and this is what gets us through. I think of you often and was so glad to have seen you recently - you always make me laugh.

A note on one of the other comments - Dr. Klimo is extremely efficient and capable and has dealt with the illness of a few close family friends in a way that I have not heard before about an oncologist.

Team Roni indeed!!!
Sending you prayers and a big hug,
Susan
Oceana Massage

Anonymous said...

Hey Roni!
Long time no talk, I hope you are doing alright. You are a wonderful woman and you raised some great kids. You are loved by a lot of people, and you are incredibly strong.

love
Atasha!

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica

Damn not the news we wanted, and I really don't have he words Eveyone who reads this has had cancer effect their lives in one way, shape or form. All of those people who fight this fight are hero's, so I'm sending as much positive energy and love your way. So when your down you can take the support from your family of friends and use us to help you carry the load.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Dear Roni,
Although I haven't sent a comment in a while, I think about you constantly and send positive thoughts and lots of love your way. Stay strong and keep smiling. Love and hugs, Anne

DesignTies said...

I know we're not the closest of friends, but please know that I've been following your couragous journey and feeling enormous pride in your never-ending strength and fight, happiness for you in the love and support you receive from your family and friends, and graditude for the wonderful health care you're receiving.
My thoughts and prayers are with you always!!
Victoria

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni. Sorry to hear of this set back but I know you are up to the battle. Keep that positive attitude, it can make all the difference. Hope your Valentines day was special and Brian spoiled you rotten. Who needs it more!!

hang in there.

Daphne