Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Out with 2009 and in with 2010

Well, 2009 was both a good and a bad year. Good in that we had a new granddaughter born in November – and she is growing like crazy and smiling and laughing now. She brings a smile to all 5 grandparent’s faces when they see her and hold her. Good in that Brian got work till mid January, 2010 and saved us from the poor-house. Brooke and Ryan both turned 2 this year. Hard to believe!

We had a small and quiet Christmas this year – only 13 and that included 2 kids. My three kids were here as well as some friends we have had before and a new set. Brian’s son, CW and his wife Leina and their two girls, Brooke and Ayla came over in the afternoon to exchange gifts and visit – was great to have the little girls here! And then went to Matt & Britt’s for brunch on Boxing Day and it tasted very yummy indeed – but food made by others usually does! But this really was good!

Bad in the fact that the cancer doesn’t quite know what to do. With each round, the first three treatments go great and often in the CT scan show shrinkage, but for some reason the last three treatments do no fair as well.

I saw Dr. Pansegrau this morning to get my results of the CT scan taken on the 21st of December. My last chemo was on December 3rd. Brian actually asked me last night what I felt the outcome would be today – and I hate being right when it comes to my cancer. I said I thought there was some growth in the tumours. He thought maybe they had just stayed as they were. Well, guess we were both right, as there was growth in some tumours – 8mm to 15mm, 5mm to 9mm and I can’t remember the sizes of the others that grew. For the most part, they had just stayed the same. Not really what we wanted but at least they all hadn’t grown. Told Dr. P that I had been very tired of late, not wanting to eat – feel hungry but once I start after three or four mouthfuls I am full. I have been dropping weight and this was noted by him as well – he said I was this weight in July, but I don’t remember looking like I do now back then. I am waiting for a call for an ultrasound of the liver – they want to keep checking on that to make sure the cancer hadn’t spread.

He talked about two different therapies – one hormonal and the other chemotherapy. I mentioned that each time Iam on hormonal, it does not work and he agreed. So, I am now starting the 4th round of chemo – this one totally different from all of the rest. This one is an oral chemotherapy called Capecitabine, that I take twice daily – albeit each time I take the meds – I take 4 pills – so eight a day. 112 for a week and 224 for two weeks. And then a week off and two on and one off. They only give you one treatment at a time and that is fine by me – the blister packs are huge.

There are some doozy side effects – some of which I have already had and well, the others are brand new. Heart problems is a side effect and with me having the left bundle branch block and a rapid heart rate, will have to watch out for any signs of heart issues – and the nurses and pharmacist have all said, if it is going to happen, it is normally in the first 24 to 72 hours and if it does, call the nursing hot line or get to emergency. Risk of infection of course is always in the background; just have to keep an eye on my temperature which I have been the past few days. Increased risk of bleeding and bruising. I just have to remember, no cutting myself!!! Nausea and vomiting – I have meds for those. Hair loss is very rare – wahooooo – though possibly thinning. Mouth sores are a big time problem, not just. The two worst side effects are hand-foot skin reaction and diarrhea – the later needs no explanation! The skin reaction does not sound at all fun. Your palms of your hands and soles of your feet can tingle, become red, numb, painful or swollen. Skin can become extremely dry, itchy and fall off in patches or come off in sheets – yech! I need to get some good lanolin-containing cream and also some Vitamin B6 (50-150mg) per day. Brian has said not hot tub for me…. Laughing of course! And my hot tubbing could be limited if the skin reacts like they have said – I use if to relieve the pain and soreness of my joints – so rather than being in 15 or 20 minutes, could be 5 to 10 minutes.

I go for lab work on Jan 18 at 2pm and then see Dr. P at 3:40pm, to see how the numbers are and how I am reacting. Ohhh speaking of numbers!!! Neuts are 3.17, Whites are 1.75 and hemoglobin is 114 – which have come down since the last blood work – it was 124 on Dec 3. But all in all, great numbers. I don’t have all the rest of the numbers as the lab was taking so long in getting them to the pharmacy that the pharmacist just told me to go home with the meds and if there was anything strange about them, she would call me. She just called to let me know they had been found!

So that is all for 2009!

To everyone – may you have a Happy and Healthy 2010 and have lots of fun on New Year’s Eve – but do drive safe, want to see you next year!

Cheers

Roni & Brian

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roni, I am always amazed by your upbeat spirit. May things improve in 2010 for us all.

Are you planning any more acupuncture sessions? I had several while I was undergoing chemo. I did whatever I thought would help with the pain... and with hemorrhoids. Now you can imagine where some of the needles were put...LOL.

Hang in there my teaparty sister.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni
Grrrr to the cancer and I would love to send you a bit of weight as I have more than enough for me and a few others to boot! I'm sure both our doctors would be happy if I could find a way to do that!!

Your Christmas sounds lovely and isn't it fun to have the little ones around - their shining eyes make the season delightful as we watch their wonderment.

Best of everything as you go into this new med regime - my wish for you would be that you would get NONE of the side effects and be able to sit in the hot tub as much as you want.

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs, Mavis

Roni said...

Hey Rain

No, haven't had any more acupuncture treatments, my friend tore her calf muscle so that put her out of commission. And also, my oncologist would prefer that I not have it during the chemo treatments but ok during the week off. And everyone loves the pictures you took of Madelynn and Ryan.

Mavis - I don't mind the weight coming off - it just seems to come off my face first. I am hoping the side effects skip me as well - told the pharmasist that I have been hit with side effects for every round of chemo I have had so far. These ones I really don't want!

Well, I am off - I have Ryan for the day - he stayed here last night, so going to get him into the tub and then he can watch some telly and maybe help Gammie with laundry - never too young to start learning!

Hugs to you both!

Roni

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica,

Glad to hear your Christmas went well. Our's was also quiet with Margy & her two girls visiting us. The girls couldn't wait to going shopping at the mall here on Boxing Day, though their mother was dreading it! :) Sorry we did not hook up last time. After dinner at Margy's, Tommy & all the family had a little surprise birthday party for me. Quite unexpected but very touching. I will be up in the new year and will give you a shout out then. I still want to bring mum by!

I want to wish you, Brian and your family, all the best for 2010! May all your dreams and wishes come true.

An Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rains fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again.....
May God hold you,
In the palm of
of His Hand.

Love you,

Eileen

Roni said...

Thanks Eileen - I have always loved that Irish Blessing. Your Mom (my oldest sister) called me Christmas night which was so sweet and we had a nice chat. And you had better come and visit when you are up and bring your Mom, she wants to come out to the house for a visit! Remember, this is your Aunt speaking...LOL

Love ya

Niki G said...

hi roni:

thanks for the comprehensive update. let's all hope 2010 is a better year for meds doing what they're supposed to do!

xoxo
niki

Anonymous said...

Roni, I hope the new meds kick the hell out of your cancer and the side effects are gentle on your body. They do sound nasty.

I wish you triple H for 2010 - HOPE, happiness & health. Sending you a bit cyber hug - wish I was there to give you the real thing!

Thinking of you often & wishing you good days my friend.

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hey Roni,

Happy 2010!

I have read your last update, some good news some bad news...it seems as though your spirits are still good which is half the battle!
I wish well with your next appointments!
Always sending you positive thoughts.
Chao for now!
Gregory

Roni said...

I just got a comment from someone, have no idea who it was - not sure how to take it - saying my newer blogs are better than the old ones - more creative etc. (this was from one of the blogs early last year when I saw Dr. Klimo).

I am not trying to be creative or have more originality - I am just telling my story as it is.

I do enjoy the comments - but would love to know your name, so please. let me know who you are.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, now that the craziness of Christmas and New years is over once again, I had time to sit and read your blog.

I had to laugh at your "quiet" Christmas, with 13. Sounds pretty lively to me. W just have our son with us and my two wonderful grandchildren, age 3 and 4. This year, for them, Christmas was so much fun, as they are starting to appreciate what it is all about. (My daughter lives in the Uk but we did get a visit from them in the summer this year.

As Mavis, says, I would be willing to share my weigh with you too, if I could.

I continue to be impressed by your upbeat attitude, in the fight of your life. I think I would be a sniveling idiot, faced with so many challenges. As someone else said, that positive thinking is the most important part of this therapy.

Sending hugs
Daphne from Ontario

Anonymous said...

Roni,you never cease to amaze me with your positive attitude!! Way to go girl!I do so pray and hope all goes well,I really miss our chats when you were just off to work and sometimes ,taking a break.Dang this time difference,I keep missing you,in more ways than one!
Your old English friend,Sandy.
Big hugs to you and yours!