Friday, December 4, 2009

Last chemo of round 3 and Merry Christmas!

Hi everyone

Well, had my last chemo of round #3 yesterday. I thought it was chemo #20 but I kind of forgot how to add! It was actually round #24 - no wonder I am tired!!!

Sandy came with me again and as usual, we have a lot of fun! Did the lab work and then headed to Timmy's for a cuppa hot chocolate - and it was yummy! Sat and talked for a while and then headed to her car to get my quilt bag and my box of ornaments for the nurses and went into the cancer clinic! I ran into Whitney in the waiting area, so she got her ornament first! I got Olivia as my nurse, and of course, I have never had her, and didn't have an ornament for her (but will on the 21st). She hooked me up right away and got the premeds into my system and then as soon as that was done (20 minutes) she hooked up the chemo drug. Now during all of this, all the other nurses are coming to get their ornaments and they all loved them. 14 ornaments for 13 nurses and 1 wonderful volunteer. Dr. P's will have to wait till the 21st as he was on holidays! I go in for a CT scan on Dec 21st and then see Dr. P on the 29th. Kinda hard having to wait for the results over Christmas, but what can you do, right! Once we get the results, then shall see what will happen next. I am hoping for a month or two off from the chemo just to give the body a time to recoup. And after the chemo, Sandy and I went for lunch at one of the local pubs by my house and I had the best hamburger....LOL... it just tasted so good and nothing fancy, just a Samz burger!

The holiday season has begun! The house is all decorated for Christmas - Meghan and Patrick helped me get the tree up and decorated on Tuesday. Doesn't look too bad - if I do say so myself! Got my Christmas cards done - to mail them tomorrow! Luncheons and dinners are coming up over the next few weeks. And then Christmas dinner! That will be a lot of fun - with family and friends - the more the merrier!

On the local news last night, there was a feature on a young cancer patient. I had the opportunity to be her room mate when I was in the hospital the first time. She is an amazing 18 year old (almost 19 I believe) and when we were in the hospital together we talked and laughed - took turns seeing what we had as a meal - taking the lid off and giving it a yay or nay. More nays than yays!!! There was an article on her in the Vancouver Sun today and she will be co-hosting on the news on one of the radio stations tonight - I will listen to it! Like me, her cancer has spread into her lungs. I love her attitude - a quote from the paper - "Eventually I will pass away.....but just because I'm sick doesn't mean anything else has to change. I am just a regular person." We have become Facebook friends, so will keep up with her on there, she is a busy young lady!

My son Patrick was accepted into the military and will be joining the Navy. He will do his basic in Quebec (cold) and he should be gone by the end of January. Once his basic is done, takes 4 months I believe, he will be posted in Esquimalt (outside of Victoria) and that made me very happy to hear. He has some of his aunts and uncles in Victoria, so that will be nice for him and for them as well. Gives me an excuse to visit the island a little more!

Well, that is it for now...... have a very Merry Christmas everyone and will have a new blog on the 29th of December!

Love and hugs to all!

Roni

PS - pictures to follow - having problems uploading them to here! May not get pictures here , have been trying to load them since Friday and no luck at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,

Sounds like you had a great week, and congratulations to Patrick on his good news. Good for you for the decorations being up and cards ready for mailing, you are ahead of the game already!! I love this season so much and I think of how much I have to be grateful for in my life. I thank you for your friendship, and it is indeed time for us to get together... I am thinking this week coming up. I know the gal you are speaking of too as she was my friends room mate in SMH also... She is one spunky gal, but then Roni so are you!! I don't know of many people with your get up and go... You accomplish more than most people plan to do... and continue to inspire and encourage others in all that you do... and volunteer too.. I want to wish you and your family the best of the season, and I will look forward to seeing you and Brian this week... Take care my friend, Love ya
Rae

Dotm said...

A very Merry Christmas to you Roni.
Ready your posts I have to say that you are one of the bravest people I have read about. You must be an inspiration to all those who know you. Wishing you a wonderful future with lots of good luck beating the cancer in the very near future.
All the best,
Dot

yummymomma08 said...

Merry Christmas Roni,

Sounds like you had a great week and that is so awesome about Patrick.

Hopefully Madelynn settles down. Ashton has 3 teeth working on his fourth.