Thursday, November 26, 2009

#19 and more


Hello everyone!

A few things to report but nothing really exciting - oh yeah, just my birthday!

Tuesday was my birthday and a rather busy day at that! My gf Sandy came over for a glass of wine some wonderful cheeses. And as usual, great conversation. When I was on Facebook, I was blown away and humbled by the number of wonderful birthday wishes I had from around the world! It was great. Then Brian and I headed out for dinner to one of our fav little hang-outs, The Saint St. Grill in Port Moody. Unfortunately our favourite host, Jay was off that night, so we had Pavlina instead. And as usual - the food was great and we came away stuffed and contented.

I decided to get brave and try some acupuncture to help with the pain in my arms and such. Mila came over on Wednesday morning - and I was a little apprehensive to say the least. But after she straightened my back and neck it was ok. She injected 13 little needles into me - one between the eyes - this one is hard not to laugh at! You can see it all the time and it wobbles. One on each foot, two by each knee and three on each arm. She let them stay in for about 40 minutes and took them out. She also placed some magnets in key points - pain, relaxation and nausea. So far pain free - the neuropathy is still there but nearly as bad. The arms haven't fallen asleep at all since Wed and I love it!

Then went to see the oncologist. My regular doctor was away so met with Dr. Johal - very young and reserved -as one of the nurses said, "he is still shiny". He didn't seem to mind I had tried the acupuncture and wasn't concerned on my weight loss. Though Lesley, who took my weight and such was a little concerned - I had lost 10 lbs since seeing the oncologist the last time. No complaints from me, but guess they will keep a check on that. He mentioned that maybe there would be a bit of a break from chemo at the end of this round - which is fine with me, 16 months of steady chemo is hard on a body believe you me. But will all depend on the CT scan and what Dr. P has to say when I see him Dec 29.



Lisa and Shelley




Had chemo this morning - and Jaimie came with me. He has been a friend since we were in high school - so long time friend. We got to the chemo waiting area a little early - about 1/2 hour and Phil came out and go this patient and said hi to me and then came out again when it was now past my time to have been in the chemo lab. He asked why I was there and still waiting. Said I was there for 11:15 chemo - and he said that is not a normal time but he would check for me. Came back out and said Shelley would be my
Jaimie
nurse today and she was running a wee bit behind. Shortly thereafter, I was in Pod 4. She was busy so let her finish with her other patients and then she asked how I was doing. She was a little concerned on the acupuncture but mainly worried about infection. No problems with that. My numbers were fantastic - haemoglobin was 126, neuts were 2.15 and platelets were 2.16 so all in all pretty damn good. For a lot of cancer patients these can be considered low counts, but for me they are right where I want them. For the pre-meds going, which took about 15 minutes and then the 30 minute wait to get it all into my system and then 30 minutes for the chemo to go through and we were outta there. Will be back next Thursday for #20 and my last of this round and maybe for a few months!!! And for the last half of my chemo, I had Lisa Marie for my nurse - I met her the first time I was in the hospital and she was a student nurse!!!

Friday was my birthday lunch over at Shannon's - Meghan and her two little ones were there. And got to meet Marla, the newest puppy in the family. She is a cutie - a little crazy, but she is 3 months old. Tucker is great with her. And Ryan, just wasn't sure at time about her - same size and craziness! Chasing each other - and Marla in into kisses. The lunch was wonderful and very tasty - I even got a birthday cake - it was yummy.

Well, that has been it for this week. Will update again next week on my last chemo. Twenty chemos in 16 months is a lot and will be nice to maybe get a bit of a break and let the body heal on its own for a while. And get rid of some of the toxic chemicals which are in my body now.

All for now


Roni




What a difference a year makes


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,

You birthday sounded fabulous, just like you.

I am so happy to share the birthday month with you as well, as I do not even come close to how fabulous you are and what a remarkable woman you are.

I don't really understand the numbers but if you are pleased with them then that must be a good thing.

I had some surgery this month, three large masses (benign) removed from my upper arm and the back of my neck. It left me pretty weak and drained after all of the anesthetic that they pump into your body, but am glad to have the tumors gone, and the stitches are healing nicely.

Now, we are getting ready to decorate for Christmas.
You will have a great Christmas this year, with your new baby girl. There is nothing sweeter for sure.

Take care Roni, I am sending so many hugs and lots of love.
Daphne Choquette

DesignTies said...

I love reading your updates, Roni!! I was particularly interested in reading about your accupuncture experience... how fantastic that it's helped a little!

And how terrific your Birthday celebrations sounded! I think Brian and I will have to check out your little restaurant one day ;-)

I'm glad to hear that you'll get a wee break from your chemo treatments. You're right... a chance to purge your body of all the residual chemicals is a GOOD THING!

All the best,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni!
Just to add that I am so glad you enjoyed all your birthday greetings and the subsequent celebrations!
One brave and beautiful lady,proud to have you as my friend!
May keep missing each other,but think and pray for you every day!
Sandy Davenport!xxx

Roni said...

Daphne - glad to hear the tumours were begnin - scary times for sure, but glad that you are doing ok - even having breakfast with hubby this morning!

Victoria - yep the acupuncture seems to have helped and I am glad for that - less pain meds the better. You and Brian should try the restaurant - it is quaint and quirky.

Sandy - awwww - the feeling is mutual my friend - very glad to have you as my friend! We need to make a time to connect and chat!!!.

Going to decorate the house for Christmas on the 1st - can't wait - hard to believe another year has just flown by. Will be a fun Christmas with more babies - because Christmas is for kids (ok, no matter what age).

Roni

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,

Glad your numbers are better! Happy to hear your body will have a chance to regenerate and clear the toxins before you begin again... what will you be doing at the Arts Club? we are going away for the week, but will be back on Sunday... We will then plan a get together... I will get our decorations out and start putting them up... Are you getting a real tree? Lucky you with your new babies at Christmas.... See you soon... Love ya Rae

Roni said...

Rae - no real tree for us.. sigh, but still looks nice! And yes, we need to get together soon, been too long! Drinkies!!!! Christmas cheer!!! I am actually going to be volunteering for CHMC Granville Island during the Olympics - working in the green rooms for performances and being a roving greeter on the island - sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun! xoxoxo Roni

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the numbers are where you are happy with them. I don't pretend to understand all of that but happy that the results are favourable. Also so glad that the accupuncture helps with the pain. about 20 years ago I tried it for migraines and it was very successful. Unfortunately the couple that ran that clinic moved to Vancouver and I've never found anyone else who was that good at it.

Christmas should be fun with brand new Madelyn and of course the other grandkids as well. The little ones make the season bright!!

Love ya - take care, Mavis

yummymomma08 said...

Glad to hear the numbers were up!! :D Glad you had a great birthday. :) Tuesday was Ashton's birthday too. It was a great night. Ashton now has 3 teeth, two bottom and one just poking through the top!! I will be glad when he gets all his teeth!!