Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Busy Weekend and Treatment Start-Up




Hi everyone!

Thought I would give an update as to what has been going on the past few weeks!


On a drug theme - no, not those kind of drugs! I had to find out from my insurance company what percentage they would pay for two of the drugs that Dr. Klimo wants me to go on. I got a call from the drug company that make Faslodex and they are going to co-pay, so I will not have to be out of pocket for that drug - it is expensive. My first dose will arrive here tomorrow and I will take it to my family doctor next week for her to inject it into my poor butt! The other drug, Vinorelbine, again, my insurance company will pay 100% of that drug. So, now just waiting to hear back from the nurse and the pharmacist. Will need to book a time for blood work at the medical day care at Lions Gate Hospital and then a chemo time as well. Things are moving forward and I am so glad about that. If you remember, I tend to be subject to lots of the side effects of any drug I have been given over the last 2 years. With the Faslodex - could be a good chance I could end up in hospital - it causes bladder infections and fevers - just what I need. There are lots of side effects for both of the drugs, but I will just try the power of positive thinking and maybe they will just not appear!!!

On Saturday, the 10th of April, it was the kick off for the Coquitlam Relay for Life and I was at our mall, with some of my family. They had me "lighting" one of the luminaries (was made for me last year by Chelsea!) and then pictures taken. We got about $100 donated and sounds like we may have gotten one team for the relay.

Later that afternoon, I headed down to the Hotel Vancouver to volunteer at the Diamond Ball, which is one of the big fundraising events for the Canadian Cancer Society. It was amazing and so beautiful. I was one of the volunteers for the VIP Champagne Reception! Got to talk to some wonderful patrons and may have talked one couple to coming to the Military Ball in May!! -
I was smart and took my flats - after a couple of hours of just standing in heels, the legs and feet get sore. And once they started yelling at me, I changed from the heels to the flats!! Came home to a beautiful bottle of red wine - it was so good! Thank you Brian!

Starting to gear up for the Relay for Life in June. Need to talk to a few places for items for our Silent Auction. And going to make a few items we can sell at the track and to friends. Should be a lot of fun. And if you want to join the team, just let me know and I will give you instructions and the same goes if you would like to make a donation as well. My goal for the team is $10,000 and my goal is $2,000. I would love to be in the Top 20 Teams, but I need you to help me!

That is about it for now. Will keep you posted about the chemo and hopefully will have pictures of the nurses at the hospital.

Ciao for now!

Roni

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roni, you are looking good in all the photos. Smart idea to bring the flats.

Glad you are getting the insurance company and/or the drug manufacturer to cover the cost of the meds. I'm rooting that they work and that Dr. Klimo works magic with you.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the side effects won't be as bad as expected. Of course, if you end up in the hospital you'll have everyone, including the staff, knitting caps and signing up for the relay. Could be a way to raise your personal goal of $2,000...hmmmm.

No no! Better to not have the side effects and raise the money in other ways. (Praying for no hospital stay.)

Thank you, Meghan, for keeping this blog up to date.

Mary Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica,

You are looking good there missy. Nice pixs of you and the family. What a wonderful cheerleading team you have there!!

I ditto what Mary Margaret said re:the insurance. It shouldn't even be an issue, but I am glad they are willing to help. If you were down here I would hate to think of the cost. I will be saying my prayers for the new drugs to be kind to you.

I am pretty busy with school right now as I have a full load but I will be donating towards your team. I know you will reach your goal. You are a hard lady to say "No" too!! :<)

Give my love to Brian.

Love you.... Eileen xo

Anonymous said...

Roni - you look beautiful in your photographs. I know that you have your share of bad days but you glow in the photos!

I am SO pleased that you are getting some well deserved attention from Dr Klimo and that your drugs are being covered - that's one stress you don't need. I'm glad too that there has been mention of some immune system support - it will be great to be putting something that is building your health up. I'm praying that it will counteract any potential side effects from the chemo.
Kudos to your support team - both within your family and in your extended circle.
Hugs to you my friend, Mavis

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, a little slow this week very busy with my grandson, and son's birthday. I'm glad you are getting help with the drugs, I know what it's like to deal with insurance companies. You keep so busy, I dont know how you do it, and are looking fantastic! I hope you don't get the bad side effects this time, you are so brave and encouraging. Also nice to see the family pics, the kids are growing like weeds! take care Hugs , Sandra Erickson.

Anonymous said...

Just sending hugs and prayers to you and your family,and,as always Roni,you inspire me!
Sandy,Portsmouth,England.

Rae said...

Hi Roni,

That is an excellent photo of you... like everyone else, I hope the side effects are mild this round. You certainly deserve a break. I am looking forward to our cut out night... and I am nudging Miss sarah re our lunch date... ;) Love ya Rae