Sunday, July 11, 2010

It has been an interesting two weeks!



Summer has at long last arrived, a little late, but that is OK, she is here now and almost everyone is happy - I know I am!


Lot of strange flowers coming up in the garden – a huge 6ft free lily – she is beautiful and smells great too. We also have this other HUGE purple flower growing in the back garden. It is large as well – blossom is bigger than my hand and has a think trunk. We are thinking another lily –but who knows and there are a few pictures of her here.



Had a visit with the gals from work two weeks ago - Deb was up from Florida and NJ was about to start her holidays. We had a wonderful visit and lunch at Rogue - which is in Waterfront Station. Beautiful reno for sure!

Sunday, I landed at Lions Gate Emergency department to have my hip checked. Seems I have sciatica. I had been talking with the palliative care nurses over the weekend and they thought I might have a fractured or broken hip. I would think that would be extremely painful. But the pain I had was enough to call Meghan and have her drive me to the hospital. Now in case you are wondering why we drove there and not to my usual Surrey Memorial Hospital, I had a bone scan done on the Wednesday before so figured might as well get it checked there. The young doctor I had wasn’t the friendliest but he got the job done. Sent me for an xray of the right hip and leg. He said it looked good and then I mentioned the bone scan and he took a look at it and said it was OK – meaning no cracks or breaks. He sent me home with an Rx for an anti-inflammatory. The home care nurse came to see me on Tuesday and did a check of me and had a lot of paperwork filled out that hadn’t been done originally. She had a form for me to take to the Red Cross to get crutches and a raised toilet seat. I am slowly figuring out the crutches – sometimes I think they are more of a pain than anything else, but if it helps take the pressure off the hip, then they will have done their job.

Wednesday was my group support day and we had a good day – two new ladies joined us, not sure if they will be around long, as one didn’t have metastatic cancer and the other is 84. But all the power to the two gals!! I then went to a new support facility – Friends for Life. It is a not-for-profit facility – and you can get all sorts of treatments done – i.e. reiki, massage, therapeutic touch, yoga, counseling, hypnotherapy, art therapy and so many other alternative therapies. I will be signing up for a few of them this week. It is in a beautiful heritage home in the West End – a bit of a drive – but worth it I think if I take 2 things in a day. And the view is stunning. They offer brunch two days a week and a family dinner on Sunday.

I saw Dr. Klimo on Thursday after my blood work. He checked me out a little more thoroughly than normal but that is OK. Told him I had been to see emergency on the Sunday. He took me back to his office and together we checked the one scan – there are three spots that have him a little concerned. Not sure if they are breast cancer spots of if they are bone cancer spots. One is on my hip, knee and one on my breast bone which is bothering me a little. When I told him about the sciatica, he said he would refer me to a neurologist and book and MRI. I know I will be seeing Dr. Cameron and should hear from him this week. I feel pretty good for the most part but do have my tired days and I know enough to go and lay down and have a rest.

Friday was my chemo day and nothing exciting happened. Down another couple of pounds which I am happy about and they don't seem to concerned at the clinic, though they are watching it. Got my needles for my injections which I start on Sunday - right, that is today!! And at chemo ran into one of the women I met at the Relay.

I have stepped down from the CCS Relay for Life Steering Committee – time for some new blood in there. I will be doing some volunteer work with the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and meet with them on Wednesday afternoon to see where I can fit it. I am looking forward to the new challenge that lies ahead of me – sounds like a lot of fun!

Speaking of the Relay for Life – our total raised according to Division was $685,000 – that is only $25k off of our original total! So thanks to all of those who donated to my team and to all of the other teams. I am still short donations from a couple of people.

We will be having our annual bbq on July 25 and that should be a lot of fun – especially seeing as we are having the Port Coquitlam Fire Department in attendance –wahhhho

Well, that is about it for now – nothing too exciting but not too dull either!

Roni

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,that certainly is a busy two weeks. Those flowers are amazing funny how they just came. I'm glad you are finding new interesting things to do.Hope the crutches help with the pain, they do take a little getting use to. I am settling in my new apartment nicely, miss the boys but they come often.I start back to phyiscal therapy tomorrow, I think two days a week.

I love the pics of your garden I miss not being able to do that . Best wishes and Hugs Sandra.

Lois said...

Well my friend, it has been awhile and tho we have not talked you have been in my thoughts and prayers. your garden is as lovely as your soul.I hope you can feel the love so many people have for you.

Love Always and for ever

Lois

Sherley said...

Ronni

"Your life is the sum result of all the choices
you make,
both consciously and unconsciously. If you can control the
process of choosing, you can take control of all aspects of
your life. You can find the freedom that comes from being in
...charge of yourself."

WITH care Always

Sherley

Rae said...

I always love reading your blogs. You certainly have a knack for writing. Your 2 weeks makes mine seem slow by comparison, I never know how you fit everything in that you do and you are always busy. Glad the crutches are helping.. Love the garden pictures! Thinking of you as always and we need to get together soon!!! Love ya
Rae

Chantal said...

Thanks for letting me know the blog was updated - that was a great read! Too bad your hip is still so very painful, but I guess it's good that it wasn't actually fractured or broken. Wouldn't you have some idea if it had been? Like to have fallen or given it a hard bump? I get tired just reading about all that's going on with you - you're crazy busy!! hehe Guess it keeps you outta trouble, that way! ;)

Take care, girlfriend. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with those crutches Roni. I broke my leg a few years ago and just couldn't master crutches.......gave up and used a walker. Enjoyed reading your blog as usual.
I've just been out watering my garden. They keep saying we are going to get rain but not much luck. We had a bit of a shower yesterday morning. I thought that might end the heat wave but it was 32C with high humidity this afternoon. My old lungs certainly don't like that kind of weather. Hugs, Viv

Anonymous said...

Roni - you continue to amaze me with all you do! Where do you find the energy? Keep it up, though, as you are obviously thriving with it all! LOL. But, lady, I'm exhausted just reading what you're doing! Wish I could make it up for the BBQ, but Fred will be here and will be chauffering me around as I won't be able to drive for a few weeks following the knee surgery.

Kittens are getting very big and even Kookie is mellowing towards them ... a bit. The horses are behaving most of the time too. Well, gotta get ready to go to mom's to finally celebrate my birthday a few weeks late. Take care.

Carol

Anonymous said...

I concur with many of the other posts: don't know how you do all that you do. It amazes me. Don't try and be superwoman. Rest a bit, OK?
The "surprise" flowers are lovely. Wonder why they came up this year and not in years past? Enjoy them while they last. They may not poke their heads out for another several years.

Sorry that the hip is continuing to give you grief. Hope those 3 spots clear up soon.

Mary Margaret

Anonymous said...

Those are some crazy flowers girl! Would love to see them in person. I'm glad the hip is not broken.

I concur with the one post about remembering to take some time for yourself! (translation - rest some my friend). I look forward to hearing about your adventures with the Cdn Breast Cancer Fdn. Hugs, Pink Angel (PG Girl Bonnie)

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing woman. I am a friend of a friend so to speak. She told me about your blog and I have been following it for a long time. I agree with your friends, time for you to take it easy. And do be careful with the crutches - they can do more harm than good. Your garden looks beautiful - wish I could see it in person, but live too far away! Have a wonderful rest of the week and do take care.


Cinny

Crissy said...

You busy little bee! Thanks for keeping us updated.

I hope you're feeling a bit better. :)

Cheers,
Crissy

Anonymous said...

Finally had some time to come read this - Roni, do take some time every day to rest. I don't have your challenges and I could not keep up with what you do. The Friends for Life group sounds wonderful - indulge and enjoy!! Love the flowers in your garden - how cool to have some surprises as well
love and hugs, Mavis