Saturday, October 16, 2010

Surgery Updates

Hi Everyone,



Sorry to have not gotten this up sooner, it's been a bit busy the last couple of days.



Mom went in for surgery between 9 and 9:30am on Thursday morning. The surgery was supposed to last about 6 hours, however, it didn't end up taking quite that long. After a VERY long day waiting for news, the surgeon came out to talk to Shannon, Lindsay, Brian and Patrick to let them know how the surgery went. He was able to remove 3 tumors from the right side of her brain and she was stable the entire time. Mom then went into recovery for the next hour and a half and then was taken up the Neuroscience Critical Care Unit.



As the anaesthetic wore off and the pain meds kicked in (she was on patient controlled medication), Mom was quite the source of amusement. She even told Patrick he had to leave because he was too hot. . .



We have all been taking our turns to go in a visit with Mom and bring her anything she needs-magazines, pillows, chocolate, etc.



The nurses have been quite happy and surprised with how well Mom is recovering. The plan was that Mom would be in the NCCU for 48 hours and then in different ward for another 3-5 days, depending on her recovery. Well, the surgeon came by early last night to change the bandages and remove the iv/drainage tubes, (she had a central line in her neck, a line in her
port, an arterial line in her wrist, and a drainage tube from her brain about the size of an old style mouse cord), and was very happy with how well she was healing. So happy that he has said she may be able to come home on Sunday.



So what this then means, is that she won't be able to have any hospital visits from anyone other than immediate family. Mom will however be able to have visitors at home, once she has settled in and is feeling up to it.. For those who would like to come by and visit, please call first to make sure Mom is feeling up to it.



Mom wanted me to say a HUGE thank you for all the prayers & thoughts!!! And that she is looking forward to being home, in her own bed and talking to all of you again soon :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meghan, Shannon, Patrick and Brian - I am so happy to hear the news and I am sure you will be so relieved to have Roni back home to continue her recovery. I have been thinking of all of you so much this past week. I would love to come by for a visit once everything settles down and Roni is up for it. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Could you post some ideas of things that would be helpful? Meal ideas etc... I am sure you could also use some help in the garden. I do not have much of a green thumb, but would be very happy to be part of a work crew!!! Love to all of you and especially my friend Roni <3

Anonymous said...

Oh that as from me Rae <3

Anonymous said...

What a fighter you are Roni! Beating the odds everywhere you go - even in surgery recovery time. So happy to hear that the surgery went well and you can get back home for the rest of your recovery. I hope it is a smooth transition getting back to "normal" (whatever normal is) and that from here on you receive GOOD news! I think of you so often....
Heather G (one of your "other" daughters)

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news all around! Roni your new feather bed will feel sooooo gooood when you get home. What a beautiful sunny week you are going to have when you get home. We will be visiting as soon as we get "the word" Looking forward to giving you a great big hug in PERSON!!!! lots of love...your friend, Donna

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled that the surgery went well - how could it not? Roni - the whole universe was at attention as it should be! I think I prayed as hard for the doctors as I did for you and your family - you have a wonderful care team, not just the medical care team but your kids and Brian as well.

They were updating us when I'm sure they had better things to do - but thanks to them so much for taking the time to give us the specifics.

Please take care of yourself and don't rush to do things. Your body needs a chance to heal and we all want you healed "real good" but nothing less will do! You're the best and you deserve the best!
love and hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased that the surgery is over with and that it went well. i am glad that they waited until after Thanksgiving to let you have some fun time at home, and that now you will have lots of time to heal, to be ready for the Christmas rush.

I so wish I lived closer to you that I could be of some physical help to you, while you are healing, but I am sending lots of love and hugs that you heal quickly and are back to your old self soon enough.

Take care my friend

Daphne Choquette

Anonymous said...

Fabulous news - a speedy and solid recovery! Hope to see you home soon. Maybe we can get to that garden...get a work crew going...put a pointing stick in your hand (for supervisors only) and voila!....garden done.

Jimmy says he will help :o)....but don't let that scare you.

Anyway, all speed to your full recovery. Looking forward to seeing you back on the block soon.

Pat and "the Jims"

Anonymous said...

Chemo Warrior I expected no less from you but still glad to hear the good news regardless. Can't wait to have more updates about your garden given that mine are getting close to final rest for the (shhh don't say it out loud - winter).

Wishing you home and in your bed, space and non hospital food sooner than later. Thinking of you babe. It was girls' night at our place last night so I had a glass of antioxidants for you (okay maybe, just maybe more than one... :-0 )

Hugs babe! Pink Angel in PG (in case the doc messed with your memory cells that would be Bonnie. You can't hit me from there so I can be cheeky. LOL Cheers darling )

Sandy said...

Hi Veronica!
There is nothing I can say that will add anything more than has already been said by others. We're back from our road trip and I'm looking forward to visiting with you when you're up to it. It will be so much nicer for you to recover and to receive visitors in your home rather than in the hospital. You continue to be in my prayers as does your family. I was very touched by Patrick's comment recently and can only imagine that the whole family is going through this trial with you every step of the way. I will see you soon whenever you're up for a visit.

Love

Sandy (Resendes)and Lisa

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Roni,you are a warrior...very happy to hear you are healing well . love and hugs to you and family.. sandra e

Roni said...

I am home!!! Wahoooooo!!! Guess most of you have figured this one out. Looking forward to visitors, but please call first and then we can go from there. Have one today and really looking forward to seeing Sandy's vacation pictures. I see Dr. Klimo on Thursday and guess we will work out what the new protocol will be - other than radiation and chemo. Have had two good sleeps and it feels really good to be in my own bed beside my loving husband!

When ready, I will update the blog for everyone - just takes too much to think at the moment.

Love
Roni