Friday, October 22, 2010

And now let the games begin

Hello everyone!

First of all, I want to send out a very special thank you to everyone who sent so much love and support to both me and my family over the past few weeks. It has been amazing and I am so overwhelmed at what I received. I hope that I can give it back ten-fold at some point in my life. Gals from work, Lodge Southern Cross, friends from afar and near - Thank you again!













This picture was taken just prior to the start of surgery - sort of the deer in the headlights look. Not sure what to expect for sure.



This is Friday afternoon just prior to Dr. Mutat taking the dressing off and with Diane - of the best nurses that I had while in - she had a tough job ahead of her and handled it with such professionalism and kindness.

This one was taken by Shannon once they put me in the ICU ward. I think I was awake and as soon as she went to take the picture, out I went!!! The hockey turban helped keep everything inside - hard to believe that less than 24 hours later it was off of my head! And yes, there are tubes coming from every which direction and yes, like the dressing, were all gone within 24 hours and it felt great and being able to just get up and walk around. When Dr. Mutat came to see my Friday afternoon, he told me I could go home Sunday - I said nope - I was not ready - emotionally or physically.

The Sunday morning stoned look!!!


For those of you who have been asking, here is a bit of information about the three tumours which Dr. Mutat removed on October 14th. One was the size of a half a pear - if you have a can of pears you can get the idea. That was the one that has been causing the most trouble and it all now makes sense to me. The other two were the size of creamers. They also found two on my spine - one at T-11 and one at V1 and the other is on my hip. These all now make sense in respect to pain I have been having.

Dr. Klimo is calling the BCCA to set up an appointment with the radiation oncologist for the brain and back and this will be done at the Fraser Valley Centre in Surrey. This will be all new to me and it is a little scary with what to expect etc. And he is also going to change my chemo protocol. I did not know but the brain blocks chemotherapy via the blood system. So it is going to try and think of another way to get in - like bloody hell it is!!
I go and see Dr. Mutat on the 28th for him to remove the 41 staples in my head - and I will be so glad once these are gone and I can go back hopefully to my normal sleep pattern. All in good time and one hour at a time.
I must say, that the medical care that I received while I was at Lions Gate Hospital, was the best I have ever received in any hospital. The nursing staff were fantastic, I can't say enough good things about them. Two of them stand out in particular - Diane and Kelly - you were great!! Diane had the hard part of taking the drainage tube from my head and that was the most painful thing that I have had done, but she just held my head, told me to press the medication button and let me cry. Even the food was decent - and that is saying a great deal - yummy meatloaf! Sure there was the odd nurse that wasn't quite ready for that floor but she will grow in time and will move elsewhere within the medical field. Kelly is a one year grad from Douglas Collage and is going to be a great nurse - she asked me if I would like a shower!! Chair showers are far too underrated......LOL..... they are awesome! It sounds like it would be easy, but you need three hands when it comes to juggling the nozzle, facecloth and soap - it is not as easy as one would think it would be. I managed to sneak the bottle home!! I even got a room with a view - not kidding. I requested a semi -private room and I got it on Saturday night - they needed my bed in ICU for a critical care patient from Emerg and I was the healthiest one on the ward and I could walk. Off Diane and I went to a sleepover! I got to pick my bed - by the window and by the bathroom. I had an inlet view and for those of you from the lower mainland will understand that. And had the room to myself till Sunday evening and it was perfect.
Thank you to Shannon's co-workers for making food packages for us - greatly appreciated. Anita's banana/blueberry loaf has been a hit with everyone who has had it! Peggy for the wonderful soup and lunch yesterday. I know there is more coming and just an early thank you very much. NJ - your cake is wonderful as usual - just attacked it today - and hopefully will last for company on the weekend!
I also received a bouquet of flowers and a beautiful note from a young lady I have not met but will do so this week. It brought tears to my eyes, but tears of happiness and joy - thank you so very much Selina!
I owe so much to my family - Brian, Shannon, Meghan, Patrick, Lindsay, Matt and CW - you were with me every way of the step and for this I thank you and love you. Not sure how I would have made it through this ordeal without you by my side!


There was to be another picture but will add it later, I want to get this out to people so that they know I am ok and looking forward to what my future holds!


This was taken with Dr. Mutat after he had removed all of my staples and he asked if I wanted to keep them - no thanks!!! There are a couple of titanium clps which will stay in to hold the brain intact (Good thing!)






Love





Roni






















































9 comments:

Niki G said...

thank you so much for sharing all this with us. we can in no way fully understand what you are going through but your words bring us closer to you and allow us to rejoice with you when little (and not so little) good things occur on your journey. please know that you are loved by many people.

xoxo
niki

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, as usual,you amaze me. Iam very happy you have been doing so well. Those staples look much different in a head than on my knees you are so brave. We can set off alarms together I have so much metal ,I carry a card..never been to airport ,but some stores know me well. lol You do have a wonderful family and I would like to thank them for being exactly what you deserve!
I hear you are meeting Sandra D tomorrow,that is very exciting,hugs to you both. I meet quite a few ladies last summer it was amazing.
You are in my heart and I think of you everyday, love to you and your family. Sandra E

Simmy said...

Hi Roni,

I'm sorry to know you have suffered such much. You are so strong! My prayers are with you, hope you get a speedy recovery very soon!

The stitches on my bone cancer left leg 1.5 feet long and the stainless steel implants there can scare the alarms even louder :-)
May God bless good-hearted Superwoman like us!

(()) Simmy

Anonymous said...

When you set off alarms in airports - it will be a signal to the whole world - here comes Roni - a fabulous woman beyond compare!!

Bless your heart for taking the time to write this blog - you are in my prayers daily and knowing details helps me know how and what to pray for.

Like Sandra - I would like to thank your incredible family, who have helped make your journey possible and without whom, I would not have had my life enriched by knowing you.

You have some pretty incredible experiences behind you - and I'm sure some still to come. I wish you strength and healing and an unbroken circle of love and care around you forever! Hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update Roni,you are surely the bravest friend I know!
Your positive attitude makes my heart sing and I am sure you will have a wonderful to look forward to soon.
My love to you and prayers as always,thinking of you and your amazing friends and family.
I wish it was me coming to see you!!
Love and hugs,Sandy (England).xxx

BCSugar said...

Roni,

I read this last update with an uplifted heart, due to your positive attitude - you came thru this last test with flying colours, and I'm grateful for it. I know I don't post as often as I might, but you're constantly on my mind and in my heart.

I like the following quote - it reminds me of you:
"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"
~ Dr. Seuss

Anonymous said...

As Niki said, thank you so much for sharing this with all of us.

I was fascinated about hearing all about the tumours and glad that they are now out of you. I guess the radiation will clean up any little bits that could be lurking there?

It is great that your family is there with you and so supportive, as are all of your friends, near and far.

It is great that Sandra can come and see you, representing all the gals from England that all wish you the very best.

Someday, I hope to get there and meet you in person as well. You are such an amazing lady, with will power to put the rest of us to shame.

Hugs
Daphne Choquette

Anonymous said...

Hello Roni,
So happy to see you got through the operation okay! I will continue to send positive thoughts to you and your family!
Keep smiling!
Cheers, Gregory

Elaine McIlveen said...

Roni as usual each of your pictures is more beautiful than the one before! Not everyone has your courage or ability to set off security alarms. I may not have the courage but I can set off alarms with my ankle too!luv ya Elaine