Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Visit with Dr. Klimo

Well, we decided to see what else is out there as far as treatment is concerned. So, this morning, Brian and I went to see Dr. Klimo on the North Shore. We both found him to be very pleasant, funny and up-front. And he did spend a fair amount of time with us explaining things. He does not necessarily believe all that the Cancer Clinic does - there are drugs out there that they should be using but the CC isn't using them.

He agreed with the type of treatment I was getting, though I think he would have done it differently for the first round. But he said that I should be taking a white blood cell booster so that my count doesn't drop like it did before and end up in hospital (did some research on this - self-injections at home). He said that Dr. P is doing what is he believes is the right course of action - he is hitting it head on and full blast. Think Dr. Klimo would have done a different regime but for the same end. Improve quality of life and extend it as long as possible.

He also thinks, that I should be back on the anti-hormonal drug I was on twice, each time I went on it, landed on chemo - and nothing to do with that drug - just the way things happened. So I will ask Dr. P when I see him on Friday as to when he believes I will back on the Exemestane.

He said if I have any more questions, feel free to come back and see him. And I just might - one never knows. I felt very comfortable with him.

So, Friday see Dr. P again and then my bloodwork done on the Saturday at SMH - and then on the 16th at 3:15, treatment 2 of the chemo. And I have been only really affected by a few of the side effects of the regime I am on now - nausea (lots of it from about day 4 to day 13,sore gums and the fatigue is far worse this time around - so, taking lots and lots of naps. The hair is just starting to come out again - so let's see what colour it comes back in the summer after this round is over!!!

Will update the blog again on Monday.

Ciao for now

Roni

8 comments:

Vanessa Z. said...

It must be nice to haev a second opinion -- gives lots of hope! Get lots of rest... sounds like you need it!

Niki G said...

i'm glad you are able to access these helpful individuals.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had the opportunity to get a second opinion. Your inner wisdom knows what resonates with you and what doesn't. It will guide you - as it was put there to do so.

All the best and rest whenever you can - You're # 1 right now!!
hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, Glad to hear you liked and were comfortable with this doctor, it never hurts to have more information and learn and try something new. Sorry to hear side affects are bad. Get lots of rest and take care , thinking of you Sandra E

BCSugar said...

Hi Roni,

I'm really glad that you were able to see Dr. Klimo and get his opinion of what regime he feels you should be on - now you know that you're getting the best you can, from different doctors. You didn't mention whether you'll be talking to Dr. P about the white cell booster. I agree with Sandra that it never hurts to get more info.

Get plenty of rest - can only do a body good, ya know!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni...it was really great to see you today, and it's nice that we're still neighbors:)
Hope you're having a restful evening...take it easy...
Ask Brian for a foot rub!

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, You sure have to be pro active these days where your health is concerned. Good for you! Glad you found his comments helpful. Keep researching and asking questions until you get the mix that works for you! A little of this and a pinch of that, you just never know the combo that will be the BEST for you. I like your style as you definately think outside the box. We will have to set another dinner date soon! I am counting my work days down down... 10 more to go,,,, Chat soon, love Rae

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!