Monday, March 16, 2009

Second Chemo of Round Two





Jody doing the red devil push



Well it was chemo day this afternoon! Latest appointment I have had so far. We got out of the chemo room around 5:15ish.








Just relaxin....


Had different company this time! Patrick and Alicia came (though she did not come into the chemo room) and Sandy, one of my good friends from high school. So it was a bit of switching around, but that was ok. It was the first time for Patrick and Sandy in the chemo room - and both did well!



With Sandy








With Patrick







My chemo nurse was Jody and she is pregnant with her 2nd girl and is due end of June. She was a blast. Donna, Leslie and Darlene were all there and came by and chatted for a bit. Old home week! I hadn't seen Leslie since before Xmas as she had been off for surgery but she came over to thank me for the Christmas ornament that I gave her.




We were a bit late as poor Sandy got stuck in a "police incident" around Scott Road (and if anyone knows what it was, let me know), so I phoned the chemo room and let them know we would be late. As it turned out, it was good we were late as Jody was running a wee bit behind schedule, so worked out perfectly.


Jody had a wee bit of a problem with my veins, she landed having to put it in the vein that runs downwards from the thumb. But she got it in. Had to keep the heating pad on almost the entire time as the vein wanted to go away. It was a strong vein, just that mine are getting weak from repeated poking and also from the Red Devil.

Jody also gave me some tips on how to control the nausea - take my regular meds and in between them to take the gravol, said it should help it a bit. So we will try that and see what happens.

I also found out what the minimum my white blood cell count can be - 1.5 and mine was 1.8 so just got in under the wire.

And we got cake today!!!! One of the nurses is retiring so they had a party for her, and the left over cake came to the chemo room! It was wonderful - Patrick got some and loved it and so did I. Sandy unfortunately couldn't have it as it was not gluten free.

My next lab work is 9:20 on April 3 and my appointment with Dr. Pansegrau is at 10:20. Chemo is on April 6 but no time yet.

Just a short one today!

Roni

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, As I read your recent entry, I can't help but reflect on how much love and support you have on this journey. Your family, friends and medical team are all here for you walking with you every step back to full recovery. I love seeing the pictures as well. You are an inspiration! Love Rae and Wilkie

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, Nice to see you have support going with you. You look good and are very brave and cheerful. I hope the side effects are less, and you feel well. hugs Sandra E

Anonymous said...

Roni, you are one amazing woman. That you can be going through sometime like this, and take happiness in the small pleasures like just having cake when you were in for your Chemo treatments.

I have never known anyone else with your attitude. You are truly and inspiration to all of us. My love and best wishes and many virtual hugs are on the way to you.
Daphne C. ( I see there is another Daphne that posts from time to time, but this is the one from Ontario.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,
This is not an easy journey you are on, but I am glad you have such great support from your family members and friends. I am not able to be by your side, but my positive thoughts and prayers are always with you. Love and hugs, Anne

DesignTies said...

I meant to get over here earlier this week Roni... I'm sorry! But here I am now :-)

Thanks for the update!
I really appreciate reading your updates because you not only share your experiences, but because you post such great pics. You always wear a smile... you have love, support and dedicated medical professionals helping you - but of equal importance - you have this fantastic spirit and positive attitude. It comes across in every photo you post... in your smile!

I hope Jody's suggestion for the nausea is working!!

All the best,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,

Thinking about you. Hope the nausea and other side effects were not so bad this time around and the the tips you got about taking the gravol along with the other medication is working for you.

Hope to see you soon.

HUGS! Concetta