Friday, March 13, 2009

Visit with Dr. P

Well, today was another visit to the oncologist!

It was a good visit. He asked how I was feeling, as in the nausea - which I said lasted about 2 weeks and the fatigue which is still here. He said to try some Gravol with the meds I take now to see how that helps with the nausea and if it doesn't calm it down, then we can look at taking another medication along with the stuff I am on now. He said that the Echo cardiogram turned out good - that my heart was good and strong (nice to get good news once in a while!). He is going to book another CT scan to see how the tumours are doing and this will be after the third treatment, so probably end of April give or take a week or so.

I told him I had been doing some research and asked him about the booster meds to keep the white blood count up. He said it is an option - but it is more for early cancer rather than metastatic cancer, doesn't really work. If I had more fevers and infection it could be a possibility, but unfortunately it is very expensive - $2400 per cycle and it is not a generic drug so I would land paying for 30% of it. Though through the Victory program could probably get it at a lower rate.

I also asked about high doses of Vitamin C - he said that they are finding out that high doses of the supplement are not really good for you and they tend to stay around from them. Vitamin D he said is ok to take higher doses and I do this already, taking 2,000 IU daily. He said they are finding more good coming from the Vitamin D.

I asked him also, if I could do my blood work today rather than on the weekend. He said they normally like it taken within 48 hours, but I could do mine today, and if the count is low or off, he would call me and I would have to get it taken on Sunday. Guess the numbers are good, as I have not received a phone call!

Meghan and Ryan came with us, though not into the room. Meghan did after I had finished my stuff. She wanted to know if he would be interested in taking a practicum student for May. He gave her the name of the person in charge and she will call the secretary on Monday and see what will happen.

So, that is all for now. Have chemo on Monday at 3:15, latest I have had it and will give a further update and pictures. One of the gals from high school is coming with me, so a new experience for her.

Have a great weekend!

Roni

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, Glad you had a good visit at doctor, no wonder you are exhausted, between treatments and visits and meds that's a lot to do and think about. I'm always happy to see you are relaxing or going on hot tub. You remain an inspiration Roni! take care thoughts are with you. Sandra E

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled that your heart is good and strong! It must have been music to your ears - positive news is so great to hear. Sandra is right - thinking about new things to consider can be exhausting. All the best Roni - you deserve it!!!
hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

Glad the heart is taking all of this in stride. Glad too that your blood work came out good.

Don't fight the fatigue. Lots of naps are OK right now. You've earned them.

Now have a nice cup of tea and relax as much as you can.

Mary Margaret

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni: Glad to hear that you had a good visit with your dr.
I know this might seem strange, but watermelon really helped me with my nausea........give it a try.
Good luck at chemo tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. :)

Sophie

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you tomorrow.... hope the second session goes well for you... sending you a hug and mush support... Rae and Wilkie

Anonymous said...

Hey Roni,

It's been a while...happy to hear things are going well.

Same old same old here at Impark...

Sending you positive thoughts as always!

Chao,

Gregory