Monday, April 27, 2009

Chemo #10

After a wonderful weekend in Victoria with Meghan - it was time for the 10th chemo session. I was fully relaxed and no cares in the world.......


What a beautiful day it is here - sun is shining, slight breeze........ So had the chemo this morning - relatively uneventful - except for the fact that the nurse I had, Julie, could not get the needle in.. she tried three different spots and yikes they hurt - one of them, she thought she had the needle in but when she let the saline flow - nope - skin started to rise up. I suggested she get Phil or Shelley to try as they are good at getting them in. Phil came and he is usually pretty good at getting the needles in the first time. He tried one spot and it didn't work and and it was an owie. So he tried one on my wrist - it is a tried and true spot. And he got it in no problem. From the way this session went, may talk to my oncologist about getting a pic-line put in, as the veins are failing which is to be expected. Not keen on 5 attempts each time thank you very much!

Colleen came with me today and we had a good time, though neither of us liked the nurse at all - just not at all friendly, didn't introduce herself. We were talking with Phil on the way out and he asked how my side effects were going and he said they would be getting worse as the treatments go along - such fun.... especially the fatigue - have enough of that now.

Then it was to Earl's for lunch - chicken wings - mmmmmmm and flat bread duo and to wash it all down a very good Margherietta!

Next lab work and visit with Dr. P is May 15 in the afternoon and my 11th chemo is Monday, May 18 - yes it is the long weekend - and don't know time yet. All for now.... hope to see some more comments..... love hearing from ya folks!!!

Roni

9 comments:

Kim Mercado said...

Hey Lady...ouch! When I read about them having to poke you over and over again I just got goose bumps! I give blood, and that's happened to me a couple times where they just poke and poke and poke!

I hope the beautiful days we've been having help make you feel a little better (if not alot better :) )

love Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, Glad to see you had a great weekend, with a bit too much walking.. Sorry to hear about needles, that sucks! I hope you get a better nurse next time and not crabby one..Take care and I hope the side effects don't get too much worse, you are an inspiration to me Sandra E

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Roni, Sorry this time was a little rough with a not so friendly nurse. I love your upbeat spirit and also what you wrote on the Relay for Life site is so true you will be back in that survivor status next year!!! I hope everyone realizes that you have two teams going now and to either join or donate!!! I am looking forward to participating this year! You have beautiful gardening weather.... take it easy though and enjoy every ray of sunshine... Talk to you soon
Love Rae

BCSugar said...

Hi there, sorry you had to endure numerous pokes at you this time 'round... Are you able to request a pic-line if they don't get a vein early on, next time? Or is it entirely their call?

It was nice to read that you went into your session all relaxed and without a worry this time - that's great! I'm sure it was easier on your entire system, too.

I have a word of wisdom to the grouchy nurses that work in that section of the hospital, "You don't have the cancer, so lighten up when you're working with us! We have enough to deal with!" Why should the patients have to put up with grouchy staff - didn't they choose this career field?

Take care, and enjoy the nice weather that I notice is coming to the LM this week...

Love, as always!

C&R

Anonymous said...

I was thinking Roni, that you could teach grouchy nurses a thing or two about being friendly. Of anyone, I know, you have the attitude of a saint with all the crap that they are putting you through to keep a positive outlook is just amazing. Whatever was the grouchy nurses problem that day, she needs to learn to swallow her own problems, and be up beat for the CA patients. There is no excuse for that, in my books.
Anyway, my dear, I was pleased to read about your tumors shrinking as well, and I hope that will continue until they have totally dried right up and leave your body and get you back to optimal health once again.
Good luck my friend.
Daphne (from Ontario)

Tamara said...

Hey hun, i'm glad you had a blast in victoria.That really sux about your veins,i think that a pic line would be a great idea if your veins can't handle it anymore.Go and enjoy this beautiful weather we've been having, hopefully it will last.

Love Pat,Tamara,& Alexus:) :D :)

Niki G said...

5 times? owowowow
hope they find am easier way for you to get these fluids in!

xoxo
niki

Anonymous said...

ouch - I'm glad I got the portacath for sure now. I remember the nurse putting in my intravenous line for my surgery - It friggin hurt so bad |I passed out twice!!!

I see Team Roni is kicking butt on the cancer - GO TEAM GO! 2 Relay teams WOW I look forward to hearing about it when we connect in May. take care my friend, HUGS, Bonnie (PG)

Harveyo said...

hey roni
this is Margie Ostroff
responding to your last few blurbs which all sound good.
good bone scan good tumour marker numbers and some shrinkage. plus you celebrate at the end of each treatment as we did. You still maintain your sense of humour. I think you have a good doctor as he didn't mind you going to klimo and he is careful about monitoring you.
all that is good. He seems to listen to you also.

Just was at my doc all my numbers were good as was the exam so I am feeling positive. good for you for taking a small trip too and nice to have a loving daughter.
keep in touch
margie