Tuesday, July 21, 2009


Well, today sure was not the news we expected – yet again. My tumour markers are up again – from 210 last time I went to 278 this time and there is no shrinkage in the tumours. I was stunned and I think Brian was too. Just not what we had expected to hear.



Dr. P said that with the CT scan – it showed the chest area – and there was no difference – but it did not show the liver or kidney very well. So, will have to have an ultrasound to see if the two spots have changed at all or if they are still cysts. I should hear shortly as to when that would be.



So, we discussed with Dr. P the various treatments that could be done. And he has said that the anti-hormonal treatments won’t work anymore. So, he said that I would start chemo again next week. The type of treatment this time – is two drugs – Gemcitabine and Cisplatin. No red stuff this time! There are numerous side effects – some of which I have had and some new ones. Not liking the ringing in the ear side effect – mine already ring, but this could add to it and could be permanent. We shall have to wait and see.



He has given me three different prescriptions for three anti-nausea drugs – as nausea is one of the side effects.



While we were waiting to get paperwork in the waiting area, the tears started again and once again in the hallway of the hospital. I just want this to go away.



I start the chemo at 10am on July 30. I then go on August 6 for blood work which means from what I understand, that chemo is every week. Will have to do some research on this one.



To say the least, I won’t be going back to work for a while. And this was something that I had been looking forward to. Didn’t think to ask how many rounds I will have of this cocktail!



But I have a strong support system – and am very glad to have them here – will need it – I didn’t think I would have to go through chemo again for a while – but alas, not the cards I was dealt.



But I did have a great day at the Aquarium with Meghan and Ryan – and a free lunch thanks to Patrick’s boss!!



And looking forward to the BBQ on Sunday with so many family and friends coming to it – and it will be a beautiful day!!



And call me if you want – Brian will be going back to work soon and I will be by myself – visitors, meals, phone calls and wine are all welcome.



Hugz


Roni

14 comments:

Heather Gustafson said...

So sorry to hear that the tumor markers are up again. Will be thinking of you and praying for you and your family as you go through another set of treatments!

Laura C said...

Very sorry to hear this latest news... Will be thinking about you, and wishing the best for this next round of Chemo...

Kyle Tiney said...

Hi Roni, this is unfortunate to hear, but we all know you are fighting as hard as ever still. You have great family and friends to support you through this next section of the journey.

Apparently the stupid cancer cells don't realize who they are messing with. Now its time to really show them just who is the boss!

As always, if there is anything that I or the CCS can do, please let me know. I'll see you Sunday! I can't guarantee how long I will be staying because of a stupid 30 page final project I'm doing, but I'll be making an appearance for sure :)

Big hug!

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, We are saddened to hear this news, and I can't imagine how you must feel. Your honesty and frustration with not seeing the results you were expecting were summed up by you in such a touching way..." I just want this to go away" You have played by the rules, and done everything by the book, it just isn't fair. I too want it to go away. You don't deserve this and my prayer for you is the miracle you and your family all deserve. Please be assured of our continued support to you and your family, and I am definitely down for some wine... Love and Hugs Rae and WIlkie xo

Anonymous said...

Ohhh no Roni! So sorry to hear these kind of news..... lets kick some *** Roni!!! Soon the cancer will say "I wish I'd never met that stubborn red head"!!!

Thinking of you... lots of prayers, hugs and kisses!

Jasmin and Joerg

Tony Preite & Family said...

Keep fighting Roni! Never give up, Iam a two time Cancer survivor and I know you will be a survivor.

Remain positive and continue to surround yourself with positive people.

Visualization really helped me, I suggest that you try it if you have not already.

If you ever need to talk to someone about anything, feel free to call me anytime. I know what you are feeling and going through emotionally and physically.

Take Care of yourself,
Tony Preite and Family

Carol said...

As always you are in my prayers and I ask Jesus to be with you, and his healing Angels to stay near you, Roni!
You will beat this, sweetie, and your positivity and perserverance is an inspiration to us all!
May God bless you in healing!

love and hugs
Carol

Anonymous said...

Oh Crap,and double crap!!!!
I'm sorry your markers are up again. We ALL want this to go away for you and from you, never to return. As someone else said - I'm also praying for the miracle you so richly deserve. You've come such a long way - and I believe you will win this battle as well!

Huge hugs to you and yours, Mavis

BCSugar said...

Hi Roni,

We're so sad, and shocked, about the bad news you received today!! Here we were also hoping for some good news for you, and a little reprieve from the chemo for at least a little while... Alas..., t'was not to be, I guess.

However, we know you'll continue to battle on, and fight this disease with all you have, which includes your support system - you have the most wonderful family and friends who stand by you every step.

As Rae mentioned, I also want this to go away, for you... This is more than enough to deal with.

Let's hope for better news with this next round of treatments!

Keep strong, stay focussed, continue fighting...

Our love and prayers are with you each step of your way...

"When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there."

C&R

Anonymous said...

Roni, I feel so bad about this horrible news. That is devastating indeed, but not without hope.

You have such a great attitude, I am sure I would be dissolved in tears at this point too.

I am sending hugs and hoping for a change with these two new drugs.
Daphne from Ontario

Niki G said...

well that just sucks. okay, the gloves are really coming off now!!!

Leah said...

I am so sorry Roni.
This is not good news.
I am thinking of you, praying for you and hoping for the best possible outcome for you!

We will see you Sunday!!
Love,
Leah

Anonymous said...

Hey Roni -
sorry about the bad news...but so far you seem to be proving doctors wrong in other areas. IT's unpredictable and with your positive outlook and friends and family sending positive thoughts and wishes all the time...well I think all things are possible!

My friend Mike said...

Dear Roni
Shit I just read your latest update fucking sucks, but reading all the support you have reminded me of a line from Animal House with John Belushi


Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!



So go get em girl!!!