Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tests and Such

Hi everyone

Well, today started out great and ended up messed up!!

I got to the hospital this morning and checked in with Ambulatory Day Care to get my arm bracelet and paperwork. Meandered down to Medical Day Care to get the IV put in, blood work done and then a flush of the port. I told them to leave the IV in as I was going for a CT scan.

So, downstairs I went and everything was going great till I got changed and put in a bed. They go through all the same questions every single time - you would think they would have this stuff in the system somewhere!! Then she saw I had a portacath - well, "we aren't using that, you will have to have a regular IV with the contrast dye". "Ahh no, I don't have any veins, that is why the pic line is in". So it went from one nurse to another - three in total. All very rude and condescending. "We won't do it, we just don't use them, they could blow out and it would be a mess". So, they got the radiologist involved. I tried to phone Dr. P. but he was at an off site meeting and would call me back. Well, This took over an hour and then they finally said they will do the CT but not using the contrast dye. Like what is the point? People have these put in for a reason as they don't have veins or are getting numerous IV's, blood work etc (hmmm just like me). So, I am not sure how the test will turn out if they will be able to see everything as clearly as with the dye. It may have to be redone.

I headed back upstairs to the Medical Day Care and they took out the IV and we chatted a little bit. They don't know why either. I mean blood is thick and they use the portacath for transfusions. And then went back to Ambulatory Day Care to get my next flushing appointment - which will be August 11 @ 2:30pm.


I see Dr. P next week and will ask him what is with this and also will comment to him on the attitude of the three nurses. And we will get the results (which we are thinking very positive) and then go from there. Especially as to when I can go back to work.

That is all for now - weather has been wonderful for so long, a few cooler days and those are much appreciated by everyone for sure. The gardens are blooming and have lots of colour. The veggie garden is looking wonderful - we have had some of the veggies already and the taste is so yummy!

Ciao

Roni

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

OMG!!! what a mess indeed! it's too bad that there are those type of nurses out there that aren't compassionate! urgh. so hopefullly without the dye the CT will be clear...and you don't have to go thru with a repeat....thinking of you
P.S. i still have my fingers and toes crossed for you and it's really hard to drive, walk, and well.....lol
xo Sarah

BCSugar said...

Hi Roni,

Glad your appointment went so well!! lolol

Hey, if you can't count on me to "inject" some humour, then who?? I know, that was really baaad! Can't help it!

I'm also keeping my fingers and toes crossed, like Sarah, that your tests will come out great, and that you won't have another round of anything to contend with.

I think the nurses that you had just are so used to doing things their way, that they don't even want to consider doing them another way, just because. You know, it's easier for me to do it 'my' way!

Anyway, take care of that cold, and get better soon - we're into the final half month before we get home, and I wanna see you well!

Big hugs,
C

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,
What a fiasco! I'm also keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. I hope your next session goes much smoother than your last experience!
Take good care of yourself.
Lots of love and hugs, Anne

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you hada bad experience... hopefully you will not have to repeat that procedure. It seems to be trending here that we are crossing everything forwards and backwards, so not wanting to be left out, I will cross everything in sight and hold the position until we get the good news!!!
Love Rae