Thursday, September 17, 2009

Numbers stunk.....

Hi everyone

Well - started out a busy week!

Monday, went to the Medical Day Care to get cross-matched for my transfusion - piece of cake! The nurse accessed the port and left it in - less chance of infection. Was driven to and from the appointment by a volunteer driver from the Canadian Cancer Society - she was a very nice and chatty lady!

Wednesday, the transfusion - talk about a long boring day...... over 4 hours and no one other than me under the age of 70! At least the nurses were fun and Meghan came for part of it which was great - even if she did spill my bag of Ritz.... And again, had a volunteer driver take me to the cancer clinic and then home again. By the time though I had finished getting the transfusion (2 pints), I was so tired - poor heart was saying "hey, you are only supposed to have 6 pints of blood in your system and you are making me now pump 8!".
Well - today was blood work and chemo day. My friend Cris came with me - she of needle fear!! Got the blood work done and then went to lunch - Swiss Chalet - was yummy! Went back to the Chemo Room and Andrea was my nurse again - but not with good news. First my blood work was late getting to them. And then being told that my numbers were low. Which ones I asked? My white count was 1.1 and my hemoglobin was 99. But my neuts were 0.03 - in my boots. She called Gary and he said that there would be no chemo for me today and to just come and see him as planned on the 29th and have chemo on the 1st. I am to be careful being around people, check my temperature and to ensure that I wash the hands well - which I do. And I have a bottle of Purel in my purse.

I had an appointment planned for 3 with a counsellor just to chat about stuff - and we went up to see if she would take me early - 1:20. She said no problem and had a great session with her and got some good ideas on how to reduce stress and how to sleep better. I am going to an innovative group for relaxation on the 28th at the clinic - Stress Reduction Series - so will let you know how that goes. And Cris was a sweetie and waited around for me even though I had planned for Meghan to come and get me!

So that was about it.... was a little disappointing not to get the chemo - but what can you do. Seems this round has not been good to my body but hoping it is kicking the crap out of the tumours!

I go on the 24th for the CT scan and will get the results when I see Gary on the 24th.

Ciao for now.... keep in touch!!


Roni

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever I write here seems to sound lame - I don't mean it to. I'm disappointed for you and don't have the words to express that sufficiently!! Grrrrr to the numbers not coming up and letting you have chemo.

Glad you have such great people around you looking after you, and help with rides etc. Kudos to Megan for coming to keep you company. LOL to the spilled ritz. When I was pregnant I dropped everything I picked up - that sure brought back memories. Glad you got some ideas from the counsellor and have some resources to explore in that area.

I'm sending the biggest hug imagineable. I often wish I was across the street and could deliver it in person. Wishing you peaceful sleep and lots of it so the numbers will come up and have you ready for the next chemo treatment.

Hugs and love, Mavis

Anonymous said...

So sorry you didn't get the numbers you were looking for! But hopefully as you said it is kicking the crap out of the tumors!! All the best, Laura

Niki G said...

roni
don't cry over spilled ritz...

and here's a little poem

tumours suck
but with some luck
those extra two pints
and those numbers'll perk up

stay positive!

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, well it wouldn't be right if everything went smoothly for you, of course you more than deserve a break here and those numbers better get back where they belong...I am praying that the tumors are being destroyed!!! I am looking forward to dinner this weekend - we are germ free- I figure if we drink enough wine we will kill any bugs that we drag in... I hope you are able to get some rest and that the relaxation group helps... see you Saturday, xoxo Rae
For the record I COULD have posted first but I held back hehe ....

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica,

Crappy numbers indeed! But I'm hopin' the flip side of that is the chemo is doin' the same thing to your tumors...

See you when we get home -- it looks like we will be home (for the most part) until the 11 of Oct... Plan on a dinner one night!

Cheers, Rick & Chantal

PS: We are off to Black Sage Road today -- any special wine requests????

Roni said...

Chantal & Rick

Ohhhhh - I wanna be in the trunk when you get the wines....LOL... Ummm.... They are all great wineries - if you are any where near Silver Sage Winery - it is actually in Oliver - Their Grand Reserve - a gwertz infused with sage.... yummy.... if you could pick up a couple, we would be soooooo greatful - ya might even get some of it - we should be doing a Thanksgiving dinner - on Oct 10!

Cya when you both get home!

Love ya
Me

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica,

Glad to hear you are going to get some relief from your sleep deprivation issue! Sleep is so important in healing one's body.

I am believing and praying for those numbers to be a moving on up for you, they have just got no where else to go. :<)

Okay, what is RITZ? The only thing I can think of is Ritz powders for dying clothes, etc. Which I am sure you are not talking about! I don't think this is a Blonde moment, but it could be??? :<)

By the way, I am coming up this weekend and would like to drop by. I will be up on Saturday till Monday. I will give you a call. I usually stay at Mum's. Mum and Margy may want to come with me. I will check with you first though to see if you are up for company.

Take care my friend for now, and we will talk again soon.

Love.... Eileen

Anonymous said...

RONI RONI RONI what does one say but CANCER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! This w/e I am giving a speech at our local Cdn Cancer Society's Reg;l Council. It's about why fund raising is important to me and how I motivate our Relay team as a captain to be successful. Well honey, YOU are a big part of my inspiration this past year so when your ears are tingling late Sat AM it's because I will be talking about you sort of in a good/bad way. Good, well GREAT actually because you were a super angel to me for my cancer journey (you were one of the VERY few who kept in contact & you were a "stranger" when friends and relatives shied away). Bad because of why I get to talk about you - the bloody cancer.

If it wasn't for cancer tho' I would not have got to include in my life and have the honor of being your friend. Bitter irony.

I'm glad you're getting help because I didn't & the constant being positive & upbeat for everybody (my own doing) did some harm to the family unit in the long term. Some of which still haunts us from time to time. Also SLEEP is a good thing and I know how my sleepness nights wrecked havoc on me - when the house is asleep and you are not, cancer thoughts mess with your mind. I can appreciate what you've been going thru' honey - HANG IN THERE. The world needs you. As with everyone else I thank you for being open & honest - it's keeps us all alive too. You know from Relay AWARENESS is just as important as fund raising and darling you do it in SPADES.

Sending you a big cyber hug & I sent you some from Newfoundland last week too where I was with no computer access. St John's George St is a riot and loved the traditional Newfie/Celtic type music. Hey, with your sleepness nights that would be a good place for you as at least one pub is open 24 hrs! LOL

Must sign off to fill up the cupppa java and write my speech for saturday. Love you my dear and think of you often.

HUGS, Pink Lady in the North (a.k.a. Bonnie)