Thursday, September 10, 2009

V8 has nothing on what I need....







Hi everyone!





Just once, I would love to go to a chemo and have the chemo and no issues around it!!!


Saw Dr. P on the 9th - he had been on holiday and was well rested!!! Meghan came with me as my second set of ears. I asked him that if this round of chemo didn't work - what would be next - more chemo was the reply, either via an IV or an oral drug. So, it is a wait and see. I also found out that I wasn't using my pain meds correctly. I would take them when the legs were painful. Nope - should be taking the two meds on an ongoing basis - never thought of that! Also spoke to him about "alternative" therapies. Not that they are against it - that is how chemo started - using a few trees. They do tell you to be careful - and I have to agree - with some of the "natural" products, you do need to check and see what is in etc - and amounts. So, for the moment, will stick with chemo!!! I took a list of questions and he answered them all. And also, included side effects. I did ask him about the white count boosters - again he is not wanting me to do them - expensive (some of them are $2500 a session and one is $6000 a month). And he feels that they won't make all that much of a difference. (think the threat of them made my white count go up!)




Now - chemo day!!! I had Trace again - he is so much fun (unfortunately, I didn't get a good pix of him today, as he was attending to a new patient). And he is a walking chemo expert. I sat in the chair and he said well..... my hemoglobin counts were very low - we are talking 79 - they were 120 around August 20, my white count was great - 1.6 - wahooo. So, looks like transfusion time. Trace called Dr. P and explained - the cold hands, going up the stairs and feeling tired, the white inside of eyelids and me feeling cold when everyone else is warm. We thought it might happen today - that would have been a hell of a chemo session! (transfusions take about 2.5 hours per pint and you get two). Gary told Trace for me to come and see him in the North Clinic - to sign the paperwork for the transfusion. Should be Monday or Tuesday - two pints, same place that draws my blood etc - I love my port. And also, Gary gave the ok to go ahead with the chemo. Which progressed as it should.


Claudia came with me today -we used to work together. Told her it would be boring, but think she may have learned something today - you always do at chemo. Each time I go, I learn something new. And we had a lot of fun - she took some good pictures! Should have told her that I want to be in her luggage on November when she goes on another cruise! Will sure miss her whenever I go back to work!



So, I have chemo on Sept 17th. CT on Sept 24 (will be using the Cancer Car for this). Dr. P on Sept 29 and then chemo on Oct 1 and ct 8. Any other appointments - well, will just have them and depending on what they are, will be reported here!


Well, now that you know all about the visit with Dr. P, lab work, the chemo session and the time for the blood transfusion, time for me to just add some words on me.


Today was, for a better choice of words - my 1 year anniversary of chemo. I started on Sept 10 last year. It is Shannon's birthday - she is 27 today and also CW & Leina's 3rd anniversary!!! I was going to dye my hair pink, but I could not find colouring anywhere.... oh, well, the thought was there!


For those of you who have been following the blog and those that are around me, you have noticed that I am always upbeat and happy etc. For the most part, I am, but for a lot of it, I am not - I tend to do this for others more than me. One can only keep so much inside and I guess I am in overflow mode! People ask if I am scared - hell yes - I am scared to death as to what is going to happen, when the counts go way down or the chemo doesn't work. I have no control of my life right now and that drives me crazy. What happens if this chemo doesn't work, what else is out there - and I try and think positive, but within me there is a voice that says what "she" thinks. I hate gut feelings. The tears have been coming a lot more often of late; sleep has been harder - mind won't shut off and it has nothing to do with the cancer. Meds help sometimes and sometimes not. Brian mentioned this and maybe I need to talk to someone, and I am so glad that he did. So I told Gary and he spoke with the counselor for the cancer agency. She called me this morning - while I am having a hot and wonderful, lavender bubble bath - complete with candles! There is just too much stuff going on and it is affecting me both emotionally and physicaly than I had expected - trying to always being upbeat when you feel crappy! I will see Maureen (counsellor) more than likely next Thursday. I have my will in place as well as the important one, the Living Will (and everyone should have this and their will in place). You feel scared, doing a living will, it is talking about reality, pulling the plug (for lack of better words) - and this will be hard for Brian to do as well as my kids.


I have noticed over the months, that less and less people make comments on the blog, I know you are reading them - I have a counter, and I have made it easier to comment as well. I told Brian the other day, I hear from no one.... and that hurts. I know that for a lot of people they don't know what to say – and you have your own life to lead. Hell, tell me how your garden is doing, your quilting, you kids or grand kids. Come over for a glass of wine or a cuppa coffee or tea. What I don't like, is when people saying they will come over and then don't show. Please don't do that - it hurts - I look forward to company. A good friend called me the other day, and I said thank you for calling, have not heard from anyone for almost 2 weeks – and she felt guilty – she didn't call as she thought I might be sleeping. Call - it doesn't matter if I am sleeping.... probably time for me to get up anyhow!


So, please, be there for me - and I know it sounds selfish,, but I need my friends. I need the physical contact wth people. Seems like everyone has fallen off the face of the earth. And I know, yes, you are all busy people, work and your friends and family. But I need you too!

So, call me and let's go for a coffee somewhere, a walk (on the level please!), glass of wine, talk about gardening and I know there are a few of you out there! (I will be planting a bunch of bulbs soon, subtle hint!)


I am very excited about the upcoming birth of my 4th grandchild - Madelynn Sierra! All the cute clothing that is out for girls. I don't understand why not equal amounts for little boys! Gammie has bought a few outfits (joys of clearance racks), We are all excited about her birth - maybe we should do a pool to guess her weight - long as she is smaller then what Ryan weighed at birth!!!


Patrick is in the last stages of signing up for the military - he is going Navy! His father and I are both very proud of him. Once all the paperwork has been approved, he will be sworn in, and I plan on being there for that - as is Brian, Rick (Patrick's Dad) and Chantal. Yes, it means he will be away - but hell, there is this lovely thing called the Internet and also good excuse to see the Maritimes!


I know that Shannon has been very busy with work and the fall campaign. She works too long if you ask me - but she is very passionate about her work and how it can help so many people!! Very proud for what she is doing. Hard to believe she is 27 now - I can remember (ok, only some of it - stop laughing Ardene and Rick!!) when she was born - having this tiny child in my arms to look after for life - amazing for sure.


Brian is now at work and has been for 2 weeks - guess they really start next week to work on the vehicles for VANOC - 2010 - wonder if he can score some good tickets - just kidding.


If I have made some of you cry - and I know there will be a few - I am glad - it means you are alive and feeling what I am talking about - and it is good to cry once in a while - cleans out the eyeballs and the soul!!


There you have it - good stuff - and it is all good. Means I am alive and surviving! And that is what is important!


Hugz to you all!


Roni

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, I really love and admire your openness and honesty and it must be with mixed emotion that you pour your heart and soul out to us. Thank you for your remarks on how you are really doing... I think I always know it is harder than you let on, and I am proud of you for reaching out for help when you get to the tough parts. I am looking forward to our next dinner with you two. I am still on Team Roni All the way... Love and Hugs!!! Rae

Vanessa Z. said...

I'm always reading... just sometime silently. It's good to know how you are feeling and makes me feel like I am right there with you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, I did cry, I wish I was close enough to go for coffee with you. You inspire me, I know the feelings of isolation after a time. I think you are very strong, and love that you say what you think, Pulling for you everyday!. Sandra Erickson..HUGS

Anonymous said...

Hey my friend - we have known each other for quite sometime now and yet I finally find myself today commenting on your journey through life. It is very a lighter heart that I can see your strength and fortitude. Your words so express what you are going through each and every day. Thank you for power that you give each of us to face the day before us. I do miss however particapting in your different functions- for my friend I miss our friendship most of all.

Lots of love Lois

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni
I'm glad you told us you are scared - you have every reason to be.It's great that you are so positive, but NO ONE can be positive all the time, and there are times when you need us to be positive FOR you when you don't have the energy to do it yourself.

I'm also thrilled for you - to be getting a granddaughter - how wonderful to know and anticipate her arrival - and lovely that you can call her by name. Ryan must be looking forward to meeting her.

Love and hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

Roni, this is actually the first time I've looked at your blog. You are one brave lady. I think your blog is very special. Since we are Facebook friends I do keep up on what you are doing.
I really enjoy your pictures. My garden has about had the biscuit but I'm not planning to cut it back for another while, I like green rather than brown stubby things showing. Hate the thought of all that white stuff coming.
Hugs, Viv

Jean said...

Hi Ronnie - We are reading your blog and all our love and beautiful thoughts go out to you. You have been so good for Brian and we hope these treatments are doing what they are supposed to. Thinking of you often and praying along with your many friends and family. Love Jean

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, Tried to leave a message on your blog but it didn't go through. You mentioned planting some bulbs - the squirrels got most of mine. Any suggestions on how to keep them out of the tulips?? Raining here again, leaves are turning and the geese are flying south in vast numbers! Not a good sign and it seems early even for Manitoba. Think of ... Read Moreyou often and read your blog regularly. Wish I was closer so we could have a glass of wine together. Oh well, have one and think of me as I toast you. Hope you have a good weekend.
Marjorie

Valorie Webster said...

Hi Roni! This is Valorie...one of your FB friends. I am staying at my brother's house right now to be with his daughters - age 9 and 10 - as he spent the week at the Mayo Clinic in MN. His cancer - stage 4 Hodgkin's Lymphoma - has recurred only 3 months after being declared clean. It is a battle and he does a pretty good job of remaining positive too, like you...most of the time. His next step is stem cell transplant, which is going to be very rough. I don't know what type of cancer you have, but keep on hanging on...you are not alone!
All the best,
Valorie Webster

Niki G said...

you're getting another grandkid???? my mother better not see this blog or she's going to start trotting out the prospective husbands...

thanks for being honest about what you need and asking for us to stay in touch. we need that virtual kick in the pants from you from time to time so we stop what we're doing and connect with the human race - i think i forget to do that from time to time!!

BCSugar said...

Hi Roni,

This was a great blog!! Thanks for all the info, and love and emotion you crammed into it for the rest of us that aren't going through this horrendous battle on a daily basis...

Even though you and I don't talk all the time, we're in touch often, even when I'm thousands of miles away from home... and we have our close times, even though not necessarily in person.

You know that I'm always with you when you have good days, and not so great... each time you hear a great piece of news, or one that totally sucks... on each gloriously sunny day, and each one that seems that the angels are crying their eyes out...

We have family in common, and for that I'm truly grateful, because it ties us together, even where no ties are required... We ARE family! But first and foremost, we're best of friends.

I've seen that this battle can get really tough - tough to handle, tough to take, tough to talk about, tough not to talk about...

I've seen friends pull a clean bill of health after a really long, hard battle, and I've seen some that haven't been so lucky.

My dear friend, keep on keeping on - you're doing a great job just doing what you have been...

I'm proud and honoured to be your friend - now and always.

Much love,
Chantal

Unknown said...

Mom -

Your courage and strength inspire me daily. I've been saying right from the start - we're fighting as a family. Every battle you face, we are behind you - even if you can't see us.

We knew this fight would be tough. But even more important then that is we know that you tougher. I am proud to have you in my life, and part of my family. Since meeting Shannon I have truly felt loved and been accepted as part of your family. I have gained a 2nd mom and I am so grateful.

Though I don't get to see or talk to you all the time, I am here. You are in my thoughts, in my heart. Never doubt the love and support I have for you.

We are proud of you. Shannon, Meghan, Patrick and myself are in constant awe of the strong and inspiring woman you are.

Love,
Lindsay

Dot`sThoughts said...

Hi Roni, I came across your blog while checking a place on FB. From what little I have already read, I am so proud to meet someone with so much courage and trying so hard to keep a good outlook while fighting such a very hard painful battle. My heart goes out to you and my prayers will be for you to win this long battle. I just lost a brother on Aug. 20th due to bone cancer. Cancer is such a terrible illness.
Your daughter Lindsay said it right when she said they were proud of you- anyone reading your blog would end up feeling the same way. Wishing you the very best future. Dot

Roni said...

Hi there.....

I have two more appointments next week. One on Monday for cross matching of my blood. Now this one has me confused - as I am O-RH-Negative. I can't get any other type - I can give to all but not receive. Will find what that is about Monday. The Cancer Car is picking me up and bringing me home after this.

Then on Wednesday, I have the blood transfusion - I should be there in the Medical Day Care for about 5 hours - and well, that section will be boring -I have never seen anyone there under the age of about 70 and they all look grumpy! So, a good book and listening to music on my phone!! The Cancer Car is also picking me up and delivering me to this.

And this will hopefully pull up my hemoglobians to a number where they aren't deciding to not do chemo.

Roni

Patrick McIlveen said...

"We are proud of you. Shannon, Meghan, Patrick and myself are in constant awe of the strong and inspiring woman you are. " _ Lindsay

That right there sums it up for me..

Love
P

Anonymous said...

If I could catch a rainbow
I would do it just for you
And share with you its beauty
On the days you're feeling blue.

If I could build a mountain
You could call your very own;
A place to find serenity,
A place to be alone.

If I could take your troubles
I would toss them in the sea,
But all these things I'm finding
Are impossible for me.

I cannot build a mountain
Or catch a rainbow fair,
But let me be what I know best,
A friend who's always there.

Lois

yummymomma08 said...

Hi Roni,

I'm sorry I haven't commented. Ashton has kept me on my toes. Since My last visit to BC, he has been busy crawling!! He is growing like a bad weed!!

It's hard to believe that in just over 2 months my little boy will be 1 years old!!

*hugs*
Tamarra

Roni said...

Thank everyone for the wonderful words.... some of you made me cry... and that is a good thing!!

Yes Niki, another grandbaby - in about 7 weeks - we are all excited about the arrival for sure. We need to get the gang together for another dinner!

Miss you too Lois - that is what happens when you live in Trail! Hopefully will get to see you when you are down at Christmas. And thank you for the poem!

Viv - my garden is slowing dying as well. I have my bulbs that I will need to get into the ground soon - before the rains start! Need to clean out the dead stuff and that damn clover that seems to have taken over one of my gardens.

Valorie - I have stage IV cancer as well - breast cancer that has metastized into both of my lungs. If you read the blog from the start, it will explain lots. My thoughts and prayers are with your brother - and for his family as well, such young children.

Chantal - you and I have that bond - it started when we first met 11 years ago - and has continued to this day. We are best friends and it is something that I value so very much. You are with me in spirit so much of the time - when you and Rick are abroad somewhere. Love you too!

Lindsay - love having you as my third daughter! You started calling me Mom almost from the beginning and that meant and still does mean a great deal to me. Come visit me once in a while!!!

Rae - you are almost always the first one to comment on here - love it.... Brian commented on it the other day!!! Can't wait to have dinner as well - very soon!

Ok, time for me to get off of the computer... but had to respond back to the comments.....love hearing what you are all doing and what is new and exciting in your lives. Please feel free to write here any time..... then I know you are alive!

Hugz and love to all!

Roni

Dot`sThoughts said...

Hi Roni,I have gone back and read most of your posts.You have a wonderful family that seems to be always there to help and accompany you for your treatments. From the pictures and posts I can see they have inherited both your nice friendly smile and your caring attitude. Such a wonderful family.
So much can be learned just from reading the posts. Best of luck in the coming appointments. Dot

Anonymous said...

Veronica,

I know we have not been close for many years. I suppose, no I know, lifes twist and turns have taken us on other courses in our lives, sometimes beyond our control, but, I am glad that we have been able to reconnected again. Margy and I were just talking about it recently how we were glad to be in touch with our cousins and aunts once again. It has been too long.

I have so many good memories of spending many nights with you at Nana and Grandas. Going to the park, (do you remember the time that little girl swund herself over the bar and broke her arm)waking up to Nana opening your bedroom curtains to the bright and warm morning sun coming out sleep head from under your heavy pink satin bedspread, (which I loved) smelling the coffee and telling us to get up that breakfast would be ready soon. Luxury compared to my house where you had to fight to get the cereal from my brothers and sisters, Nana's cooking, especially because we always had dessert after dinner,(only on Sundays in my house) and Granda rubbing his rough, thick, brisly beard on my face and loving it, and even the not so funny ones,(well they weren't so funny then)I think we were about 6 and I told you that babies came from mommies tummy and you got so mad at me, told me I was lying and ran and told Nana and she called mum and I got in trouble. I forgive you though even though I was right! :>)

Where did the years go? But, with the recent loss and celebration we have experienced over the past months, we have been given the opportunity to get reaquainted and for that I am grateful.

I can imagine what you are going through, and yet I cannot. We all say we want to live till we are old, grey and the best end would be to kick the bucket in our sleep, "God willing our parents would say." We don't want to think about death, especially our own. I know it is a fear, this cancer, that haunts the minds of most of our family members, especially us women having had it touch so many of the people we love and your cancer become a reminder that "this to could happen to you.", So, we keep our distance. I did when I first heard you had breast cancer. I didn't call you because I didn't know what to say and it ran to close to home for me. For this, I am truly sorry. I hope you will forgive me.

You give us hope Veronica, your strength, your courage, your tenacity, your wonderful sarcastic humor (wonder where that came from:)your ability to look cancer in the face and say, "I dare you," gives me the most humungus of admiration for you.

You have been amazingly blessed with such love and support from your awesome children, grandchildren and Brian. There is nothing that beats the love of family, this is a gift from God especially for you beautiful lady!

You are a fighter, you are courageous and you are Irish. What better combination is that!! This makes you a winner in my books (as my dad would say)and I am honoured to have you as my aunt (older):>) and friend.

I plan to be up soon and I will call you before I come so we can set up a time and spend some time catching up.

All my love... Eileen

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni. So glad to see your still hammering away at the keyboard to share with everyone what your dealing with on a daily basis. I'm so glad to see your clearly surrounded by much love and friendship. Your in my thoughts & prayers each night and I know that with all of this wonderful support and all of the wonderful people around you, you'll always have someone there to pick you back up should you fall :)
Keep taking care of yourself!
R. Boggs

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, I have not been around much lately. I had my daughter home from the UK for three weeks, and then two days after I left for our three weeks holidays. I am currently in Winnipeg, on route to Saskatoon where I will meet Mavis for the first time and then on to Edmonton to meet at least 6 more new Facebook friends. I met Marjorie Kolbe this trip, just north of Winnipeg at South Beach Casino on our way to Grand Beach. I know Marjorie is one of your friends too.
Anyway just to let you know why I have not been on the computer very much for the past two months.

I was reading your latest blogs, and of course you can't help be scared. This is a scary time for you but I am so glad to see that you have not given up.

It is ok for you to tell us how you really feel because then we can tell you that we feel so scared too for you. This is a rotten thing to go through and if it was me, I do not think I could be as brave as you have been. I think I would just crawl away and try to block every thing out. You are really helping us with this blog to be able to reach out and give you our support. We all want to be there for you in good times and in bad times. You have been so honest with us. I have never met anyone as couragous as you. I have to admire you mostly because I know that I would not be that strong faced with such trials.
Reading your notes does make me cry too, and I wish I could just reach out with a magic wand and make this all go away for you.
I am hopeful that the doctors will keep trying treatments until they find the ones that work.
All my love and support goes out to you Roni.
Daphne Choquette

sandy said...

Hi Roni. Just stopping by tonight to tell you I'm thinking of you. I wish you were beside me so I could give you a huge hug.
Know that my heart is with you every day.

xoxo
sandy