Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Week of Fun & Appointments

Hi everyone
Well, this will be a long one, as it is a weeks worth of information and pictures!!
Last Thursday, my girlfriend Sandy and I drove out to Fort Langley to wander around - we had been trying to do this for about 6 months! We found a perfect parking spot in the shade and then began our attempt to find just the right place to go for lunch! The first store we looked into was a candle store - it was great - Old Candle Factory Ltd. I bought a couple of pairs of tapers that looks very interesting. And you can make your own candles there. So, we thought it might be interesting to get some of the gals that we go out for dinner with there and make some candles and then go out for lunch. And I am thinking about getting my girls and going there and doing the same. We wandered up and down Glover Road to see what was interesting for lunch. There were several and one that we thought would be fun didn't open till 4:30 - so you know what that means - we have to go back. But we found one that was so cute - the house was built as a family home in 1923. It is called Beatniks Bistro! They had more seating on the deck compared to inside. We sat on the deck and enjoyed a wonderful lunch and some wine of course. And I will go back for sure, good food, wine, prices and staff! We then wandered around and just snooped in stores to see what was there. But we had to go into Roxanne's Hats as I needed to find a red hat - will explain that one in another blog!!! We were allowed to take only one picture in there - fear of us taking pictures and then designing our own - have you seen my craft work!!! But I did manage to find one I liked - even if "some" people laugh at it. We did manage to find a funky 50's diner up the street and had to go in for some ice cream! They even had the little gizmos at each table with pages of songs in them to play - and we did! But realized that we knew almost every single song and the words that went with the song!!!












Combined lunches - Sandy had a wonderful salad & I had the ussels in a creamy white
sauce


Friday - what a blast - Meghan, Ryan, Patrick and I went to the Reiffel Bird Sancturay in Ladner - we has so much fun. Ryan did too - feeding the ducks and talking to them as well. We had a goose follow us for about half the trail - he walked right up by Meghan and if he decided to nibble on food, he would run to catch up with us. I think he thought Ryan was another goose, they were about the same height!!! Not sure who was more tired, us or Ryan!!! He eventually fell asleep in the van on the long ride home - traffic was a mess!
Ok, that was a good day - now for the weekend!

On Sunday, we had a surprise baby shower for Meghan. We had a lot of fun - about 25 friends and family were there. And "Madelynn" sure got a lot of very nice things - lots of pretty pink outfits. Meghan and Corey won't have to do laundry for a while! It was great to see old neighbours, new neighbours, and freinds and family from both sides. And lots of good food too - especially the Guacamole made by Dwayne - mmmmm was so good! And the beautiful cake made by Kim H for Meghan - looked so cute and tasted very good. There were 4 little ones - Linnea 5, Sophie 2, Ryan 2 and Alexus 13 months. They all played so well together and later Alexus and Ryan were an item - holding hands (she started it) and hugging - so very cute. We used a bit of a mean ruse to get Meghan here, but all in all she was ok with it - once her blood pressure went back down and she gave the culprits the evil eye!!! The young guys (Dwayne, Corey and Patrick) did a great job of getting all the tables and chairs from the deck to the lawn and then brought them all back up again. Decorating team of Tamara, Pat and Lindsay did an awesome job of putting up the balloons and streamers. And then the phone call for Meghan from Maui - her Dad and Chantal are there and unfortunately missed the shower, but they called during it and it sure brought a smile to Meghan's face. A good time was had by all - nice to have gatherings like this - and especially when you can still do it outside at the end of September!




On Monday, Meghan and I went to the cancer clinic for the Stress Reduction Series put on by the CCS. We got there for 1:30.... knocked on the door several times. No one was answering the door. Went to the receptionist and asked and she wasn't sure what was going on. Then read the sign and got the extention of the gal who had called me. She said it had been cancelled due to the instructor being sick. She said she had left a message for me at home - well I was at home at 11 and she didn't call the land line! She had called the cell which was off (which it is when I am home!). So, we went shopping instead!!! I had told her and Corey that Brian and I would by the play pen or play yards are they are called now! So we went to Wal-Mart - and there was one that had everything she needed and at a really good price. It came home with us - and Meghan being Meghan - put it together immediately!! And put all of the stuff she got from the shower into it till she is able to put them in the baby room once Ryan moves out!

Tuesday - visit with Dr. P - to get the results of the CT scan and to just talk about the current treatment. Some of the larger tumours have shrunk - wahooo and that is a promising feeling. Though will still hold off till the next CT to get really excited. I had several questions for him - why my tumour markers have gone up so high - they were 374. He said that they do go up and down - depending on how the chemo is going, so nothing to really worry about. I was happy to see that my weight had gone down a kilo from the last visit - every woman's dream!!! He listened to my heart and lungs and said they sounded good. He is a little concerned over me being winded so easily - so along with the liver ultrasound he is going to book, he is also booking a heart ultrasound. Hopefully these will get done before I see him again. He also said depending as to what happens on Thursday, he may space out the weeks between treatments - say 4 or5 weeks between in order to give my body time to recoup and get the numbers up a little higher. Hopefully Thursday will be a good day and have great numbers!!!

Then it was time to go to Meghan's appointment with her OBGYN - a very nice doctor. She is doing well - even if Madelynn is growing like a sprout. Dr. Ho said that it would be fine for her to have the baby at any time and Meghan was just fine with that. So lots of walking for her the next while.....LOL! Let's get this baby here - we all want to meet her. Afterwards, went to Sears to check out strollers. Holy crap some of them are so damned expensive - over $500 for some. It is a stroller already! But she found one on sale and then got an additional 10% off, so brought the price down considerably. And as per usual, she put it all together last night!
Thursday - chemo day! Shannon came with me this time - now for those of you who know Shannon, she is not a friend of needles or blood - so when they accessed the port and such - she looked the other way - same as in chemo when they checked the blood flow - she looked the other way! Phil was my nurse today and I got to take a picture of him. My numbers were awesome! Ok, some were still low, but better then what they have been for a long time. Maybe there is hope yet!!! White count was 4.3, Red count 2.85, HB was 98 (down 1 from last time) and Neutrophilis 1.9 - way up from the last time! Not sure what the tumour markers were, didn't get that sheet. It went along smoothly which is so nice for a change!! Have some questions to call into the office about tomorrow - wrong times for blood work and not sure why I am being sent to another doctor. And also to check as to why not the heart ultrasound - sending me for and ECG and I phoned and checked with Meghan to see if she had heard the same thing as me - ultrasound - and the woman said it back to me to try and get them on the same day. Possibly they are doing the ultrasound and the ECG. Booked into November now - holy crap! Ok - got the dates and doctors straightened around. Have the Echocardiogram done on the 22nd - good, one down and one to go. Got Dr. P booked for Oct 27 and not the other doctor the unit clerk booked me with. Cher will call me with the date of the liver ultrasound and she is hoping to try and book it for the same day as the heart ultrasound, wishful thinking. And got the blood work back to the same day as chemo. Whew!
That is all for now.... lots to absorb, I know.
Hugz to everyone. Call me or email me or comment here! Gets very boring when I hear from no one - ok, there are one or two who contact me - that is it! I love hearing from people - no matter what way.... I can only read so much or be in the hot tub so much! Or come for a visit or we can always go out for a cup of coffee or tea; a glass of wine or two; a funky drink! A walk along the sea wall - long as I take breaks!!
Roni

13 comments:

yummymomma08 said...

wow. What a busy week you have had!! I am very much like Shannon. I can't stand blood or needles. The nurses laughed at me when I cried when they put the iv in my hand when I had Ashton.

Sounds like a lot of fun was had at the babyshower. Wish I could have been there.

Ashton is teething like crazy this week. Nothing like 3am wake up calls!! man I hope he pops some teeth soon.

I think the red hat looks great on you. As long as you like it that's all that matters. :)

Kim E said...

hey lady! I'm sorry I haven't come to visit you, but I'm at the tail end of a bug that just won't leave me alone! Once i'm better I'll have to come over for another wine and hot-tub night :) Hope you're doing amazing (alot with the rest of the fam) Miss you and I'll talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Great News Veronica,

I will keep believing for it to continue....It sounds like you never sit still for long!:<) I am glad to hear Meghan's shower went off well. The cake is too cute....looks delicious.

Your red hat is perfect on you! Do you belong to the Red Hat Momma's? My neighbour does & they wear red & purple.

I was happy to hear Shannon accompanied you for your session. I know that meant alot to to you.

Sounds like your luncheon turned out great. That is such a cute and quaint area to visit.

Well I know it is Baby Count Down... I am hoping to hear your good news anytime.

Take care for now... Love, E.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great week - lots of social stuff and wine (like that part)and some good info on the medical front. Love the red hats! Hope you have a good weekend too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,

Just wanted to say 'hi'. Life has been busy...mostly dealing with a friend (also 40) who has been diagnosed with a rare epitheloid cancer under his arm. They initially said it was no big deal - horribly poor management, waited for 3 months just to get a diagnosis. Now they're telling him they'll have to take his whole right arm and upper part of his body (collar bone etc) and then he's only got a 10% chance of living.

I hate fricking cancer. I am glad you are still kicking its butt!!! I am hoping that I might be in your part of the world sometime this month. Depending on the timing I hope you're up to a nice meal!! I miss you and your cheery face, but trust we'll have the chance to meet up soon.

With smiles and gratitude,

TP

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni,

Wowsy it’s been a long time since I’ve read your blog....what a journey......but man, you are looking really good!

I know that hat store you are talking about in Fort Langley, it’s so neat in there! Our son Christopher has started to love hats. He picked up two when we were on vacation. Fedora’s. Of course, he lost his baseball hat while we were there as well...so up two down one...hhhmmm not
good math I’d say. He’s finally getting over the pneumonia, boy he was one sick kid! When he doesn’t talk, doesn’t eat and doesn’t want to watch wrestling...well you know he’s sick! Now he’s trying to get caught up on two week’s worth of homework. It’s going to be a long school year I can tell you that right now.

I’ve already gone into full force nag mode...I hate it, but if I don’t nag...he doesn’t do it.....ggggrrr. I can hope he’ll eventually figure it out on his own...I can hope.

So good news for Kyle, bad news for us....I’m guessing. I hope they treat him well. He’s a good kid and deserves to be in a good place.

Did I ever tell you I chatted with your daughter that works at the United Way? I can’t remember her name now...but we chatted for along time. I said I’ve done years
With the relay for life CCS...and from there we just on and on ...until I figured out she was YOUR daughter! Small world isn’t it? This was a few months back now...but better late than never to tell you....if I have already, oh well...old age gives me that right.

Anyhow, I know when it’s time to move on and it’s time (having issues with work). Life is too short (as we’ve been recently reminded once again with Alex’s loss.)

Well my dear ...time to finish eating my salad, work on my resume and head off to bed. I’m a tired puppy.

Hugs to you Roni. Keep up the good fight. You are an inspiration to us all!

Thanks for being so good about keeping in touch, I’m sorry I haven’t been as good at it. Too many balls in the air juggling right now. When I get a chance, I try to forward little jokes to at least give you a smile for the day...but I’m even running low on those lately!!! Hahahaha

Take good care Lady and please say hi to Patrick for me!

Love Donna

Niki G said...

holy moly - that was a long entry! thanks for getting us caught up. sounds like you've been super busy all around and you know we are all so happy to hear that you are seeing positive things happening. i'm just wrapping up here at work and now that i've seen your food photos i gotta get home quick and eat something! take care!xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, I am very happy that your numbers improved and that you had some good test results finally. You sure deserve it!! I love the red hat on you... and I think you might need it this winter. isn't it crazy how chilly it is at night now... The shower was fun and Madelynn sure has a full wardrobe now. the surprising thing was there were no duplicates... I always loved getting the clothes ready for the new arrival. Love all the info on your blog, what a great way to share your journey. We will set a dinner date soon, after Thanksgiving... love ya Rae

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, It sure looks like you had a busy week. I'm glad your counts were better this week. The shower looked like fun that was a lot of presents baby will be set. I love the new red hat, I haven't had a hat for years, but makes me think about trying one. I love seeing wine and hot tub status, way to go. It has really gotten cool here the last few days feels like winter..:( My boys are camping in the mountains this weekend, can't imagine in 4c temps, but that's young for you, take care Roni, Have a great week Sandra Erickson. <3

Anonymous said...

Roni, Glad to read that your numbers are looking better and that the tumors have shrunk. Woo Hoo is right!

You wrote that you can read only so much and spend only so much time in the hot tub. By what you wrote it looks like you have been pretty busy. I doubt you've read much recently.

Loved the hats. I lived in hats, with a scarf around the edge while I was undergoing chemo 10 years ago. Hated wigs! Hated having a cold bald head even more. Which hat did you buy? My vote is for the smaller brimmed one.

Wish I could see you in person once more, but unless you fly into LAX again it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

See you at the "teaparty".

Shouva

Anonymous said...

Hey Roni
As you know, I've been away so haven't checked on your blog much. So glad to read that your tumours have shrunk and that your numbers are better! Keep fighting just as you are - it's working!!!!!
hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

I like the hat with the black trim. But as someone as already mentioned - it's what you like. Cuz after all honey, it IS all ABOUT YOU!!! LOL

Gotta run to work :-( but think of you often. :-) Later babe!

PG Pink Lady (Bonnie)

Harveyo said...

Hi roni
hope this works. Harv is at Surrey Fringe doing a 3 day workshop so I have time to catch up.
Was at the cabin for most of the summer where we really don't get much e- mail. THEN MY sister arrived from Boston as she had never seen Zoe so we ran around and then immediately left for Montreal to visit family and friends. I went to the cemetery to tell my father that he had a namesake Emile it was emotional.
then took the train to Toronto to stay with Josh and Carrie and visit our new baby Emile who was less than 3 weeks old. He was so cute and loved sleeping in Boba's arms. The weather was usable and we went for walks. Again visited old friends and family.
so just got home and have to go to the cabin to close up as soon as Harv returns.
Nov 4 we leave for HawAIii til Dec 8. HOw long will Rick be there?
Read your entire blog for the month of Sept. You have learned so much and ask good questions. You are doing the right things. Glad you have people to go with you. I used the volunteer drivers sometimes and they are a lifesaver.
The baby shower sounded wonderful. you do have fine celebrations. I imagine anytime we will hear of the birth.
I have been dealing with a number of cancer friends this summer including Harv's sister who seems to be recovering.
keep on trucking and know I think of you with affection.
Margie