Monday, March 22, 2010

From Sadness to Happiness

Hi everyone!

Well, the last three weeks have been an emotional roller coaster for me and for my family and friends. There were lots of tears from me to say the least.

I had friends come over to visit with food and wine - I like this! My brother Donnie came down from Clearwater with my oldest niece, Elaine (she is actually older than me - ok, by 20 days!). Had a semi family reunion - my oldest sister Margaret came over with her daughter Margie and her son Tommy and his girlfriend Kim. Patrick made heck of an awesome prime rib roast! We had a great time visiting, laughing and crying.

I got set up with the Tri-Cities Home care folks - and have had two visits from them already! The woman who came on Friday is coming again April 1st - she wants to hear what happened with two doctor visits. I really don't need them yet - I have no intentions of leaving this earth for quite a while, thank you very much!!

But, now we come to my visit with Dr. Klimo this afternoon. Shannon came with me - my extra ears! After checking to make sure there were no extra lumps and bumps on me, we went into his office. He checked my file and asked what the cancer agency had said. Basically, no more they could do and they gave up on me. Well, there is no way this doctor is giving up on me! There were several different treatments he is going to try. From the sounds of two of them, one is oral and the other is a muscular injection - owie! And not sure what else he has up his sleeve. His comment to me was I was too young to be given up on and there are treatments to help. Now the downside to all of this is that some of the drugs are not covered by our medical plan, but he said he had never heard of an insurance company refusing to pay for the drug through extended medical. Not sure which one of two drugs he mentioned today is the one not covered or if these are even the drugs he is going to use! He mentioned Faslodex (Fulvestrant) and Exemestane (Aromasin). My treatments will no longer be at the cancer clinic in Surrey, but will be going to Lions Gate Hospital and using their chemotherapy department - long drive, but worth it. I went to register at the clinic and then they said they would call me about chemo teach - told her I could teach it, that I had been on chemo for over 18 months! So, will wait to hear from the hospital.

I also asked him about genetic testing for Shannon, Meghan and Patrick - he said it is a good idea and guess his office will set it up. With having so many cases of breast cancer so close in the family, it is good to get it checked! So, again will have to wait to hear back from his office.

Then it was time for Shannon and I to have lunch at the Quay in North Van. We picked up some meat, cheeses, olives, bread and a tapenade and sat outside in the sun and just enjoyed the afternoon. Talked lots and lost track of time. We wandered through the Quay and poked into some of the stores - ohhhh there were some good ones! Shall have to do that again, for sure!

I go and see Dr. Pansegrau next week - and will let him know that I have gone with Dr. Klimo. And then say goodbye to the nurses - that will be hard - they have been so good. And so has Gary - not his fault BCCA won't think outside of the box.

My friend Rae, when she was volunteering for the Olympics, knitted a whole bunch of hats for cancer patients to wear when they lose their hair. I am taking some to Surrey and some to Lions Gate for patients there. Thank you so much Rae, this means a great deal to me and especially for patients!

I am looking forward to next week. Two very special friends are coming up from the States to visit me. Carol and Mary Margaret - I can't wait. I have been friends with these two ladies for 8 years and never met them. Well, met MM for about an hour in 2003! We met through and online support group "Belly Dancers with Breast Cancer" and we have been through thick and thin together. Hope they won't change their minds when they read this blog!!!

The Olympics and Paralympics are now done! What an exciting time it was here in Vancouver and in Whistler! The world saw our beautiful city, the weather was beautiful (though at times not too great for some of the events). Canada received the most gold medals ever won - it was fantastic!! The Paralympics were so good - and the city just came alive with them as well. Everyone has their own little memory of the games and these will stay with them forever!


Thank you for all the prayers that were sent my way - I got them all - and well, it worked for now and that is what counts!

And now, I think I will go and have a glass of wine - been a very good day!


Ciao for now!
Roni

19 comments:

Rae said...

Hi Roni, It seemed like forever waiting to hear the news from Dr. K. So very glad that he has some options for you, and hopes he gets you started very soon... Once again, you have shown all of us your strength and instead of curling up and giving in, you have risen and roared..... I am so proud of you!!! Looking forward to our lunch date and many many more glasses of wine in the years to come... Love you!! Rae xo

Unknown said...

Great news!

Dorothy said...

Roni,
You've been on my mind ALL DAY today, and I hoped for this great news!! You are my inspiration...and I love learning from you. I've never met such a strong woman...ha...strong doesn't even cut it...I think Brian said it best "cancer WARRIOR"
I admire your determination, your heart, your love for life. I was absolutely thrilled to hear of this news...bless Dr. Klimo!!!
we won't give up either...ever!!!
All my love xoxoxox
Sarah

Lynne said...

Thank you God and thank you Dr. Klimo for this day. Roni, you can only imagine how pleased I am to hear of these options. I'm sure he'll have the ball rolling quickly. This is the uplifting news we prayed for.
Also so glad for the wonderful quality time you and Shannon shared today - hope it was sunny in Nth. Vanc., it was here. This is good news Roni, really good news, thanks for sharing, oh my gosh, you are going to sleep well tonight....love you...Lynne xo

Anonymous said...

Roni - YAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Can you hear me doing my happy dance here in Saskatoon? How heartening it is to hear that someone in the medical field is prepared to come alongside you and honor the warrior that you are by fighting with you!
It must have been all the sweeter to hear those words from Dr Klimo and to have Shannon present to share the good news! Sleep well and dream of the sunshine waiting for you tomorrow and many days after that!
Love, Mavis

Anonymous said...

HELLO, RONI! wonderful to see you had a good visit, and have some new options, sounds like a good day at lunch and shops. Maybe, the hair will come back blonde this time...a nice summer shade.. joking , aside...hugs and again .you inspire me..Sandra E

Meghan said...

Mom - So glad and excited that you have finally gotten some good news!!! We are all so proud of you and the fight you have put in so far and the one you will continue to do! We are all here with you and for you-every step of the way!! Love you!!!

Unknown said...

This is great news. From my past experience with my grandpa and Dr. Klimo you are in great hands! I'm so happy you got the response you so needed from him. And the battle continues...

Irish Warrior! said...

Rae - as I have said on Facebook - an Irish patient and a Czech doctor - what a combo. I think I will take half of the hats you made to Lions Gate with me - seeing as that is my new chemo home! Thank you so much for making them - the patients will love them. And yes, will get the date confirmed soon!

Sarah - hopefully I didn't distract you too much being on your mind....LOL! But it was good news for sure. See ya soon!

Lynne - ok what happened to Kas...LOL.. tell that man, he works too hard! It was good news for sure.. and what a beautiful day it was as well - made it even better!

Mavis - yes, I can see you doing your happy dance....LOL....Shannon and I had a great time afterwards - eating a yummy lunch in the sun, wandering through the market. She bought some wonderful teas and one for me too - will try it tomorrow afternoon!

Sandra - from what I have read on at least two of the drugs, I won't lose the hair - so now I will get it shaped and coloured - a new "do" for a new me!!!

Meghan - thank you...and love you too!

Roni said...

Lindsay - you snuck in there...... was so glad to hear about your grandpa this afternoon and great to see ya too! It is always nice to hear what others think of a doctor - good and bad. But so far, have not heard any bad about Klimo!

Anonymous said...

Just to say,I am so glad you have found a supportive consultant Roni and there is more they can offer!
Prayers always with you.
How I wish I could enjoy lunch with you too one day but we can do that electronically!!
I WAS thinking of you when I had my injection yesterday,so little to go through for me,when you have so much.I admire you passionately! Big Hugs! Sandy (England)

yummymomma08 said...

I had been waiting for an update all day yesterday!! :D I'm really glad that you got some good news.

You are an amazing woman! You have shown me what true strength is!!

Well Ashton is keeping me very busy!! Climbing up everything now!! I think I have a monkey for a son. LOL!!

I am planning on coming out this summer with the hubby and Ashton. I hope we can get together while we are there. :)

I go to the doctors next wednesday!! Hopefully she has some good news for me. :D

Anonymous said...

WAHOO FREAKING WAHOO - HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY doing the jig in my mind (cuz the other person in the business center may think I'm nuts otherwise. CRAZY is okay, but not nuts. LOL) We are STILL having several glasses in wine in May darling - they will just be happier ones. Not that any time with you is ever sad. Love ya babe - now must grab my stuff from the hotel room and pop on down to my meeting. Some of us still have to work you know. :-0

BIG HUGS Angel friend. Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Great News Roni - Are you going to be able to squeeze us back in for our lunch? We know family comes first...but we just wanted to let you know that we are still here for you and are looking forward to a nice day out soon!

Let me know so we can coordinate with the "Train Gang"...
Kari, Lisa, Suzanne, Gary

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news Veronica!!!!!

We are so happy for you. You were in my thoughts and prayers all day yesterday. Bravo to Dr. K who has given you hope and encouragement. Bravo to you Mz. Irish Warrior, who's love of life and family is an inspiration to all of us.

-An Irish Blessing....

"May God grant you always...
A sunbeam to warm you,
a moonbeam to charm you,
a sheltering Angel so nothing can harm you.
Laughter to cheer you.
Faithful friends near you.
And whenever you pray,
Heaven to hear you."

Love and a big hug... Eileen

Crissy said...

FANTASTIC news!!! If only all doctors were created equal, I think we'd have many more cancer survivors in this world.

I'm so happy for you!

Rain said...

I am so happy to hear the news! I will continue praying and hoping you continue to beat back that disease. You CAN do this, Roni! I know you can!
Wish I was joining Mary Margaret and Carol, but I have to work...:( I love you!! Rain

Niki G said...

Hi Ron:

I just checked in and read your most recent blog. Great news about Dr. Klimo. I have now heard his name mentioned several times and always so positively. Sounds like he should be teaching our medical students on the art of medicine. Everyone seems to get hung up on the science, which we know is important, but there is so much more to providing health care than prescribing meds. It is about taking the journey with your patient and being present, however that might manifest itself. It is about never giving up on your patient and not letting them give up on themselves. I'm so glad that Dr. Klimo is helping you make that journey, which is far far from over.

xoxo
Niki

Simmy said...

Thanks Roni for your updates. I am so glad you and your team had such a great success with the Ralay for Life. I also participated in Relay for Life in White Rock/South Surrey last Friday. It was such a meaningful thing. Hope more people will join this more than just a fundraising event next year.

Hope you are getting good result from the new treatment. Wow, you looked good on that pretty ball gown. There will be many many more enjoyable days to come!