Sunday, May 16, 2010

Balls, chemos, needles and fun shows!




Great introduction huh!

The past few weeks have been a little crazy to say the least. Went to Club Colour with Patrick and we painted some ceramics – mine is a stoned frog and Patrick’s was a monkey. They are fired and now ready for pick up. Great way to spend a few hours with someone and at a relatively inexpensive way.

On the 8th, we went to the 65th Garrison Military Ball held at the Hotel Vancouver. For the most part, it was a wonderful evening. Lots of fun getting to dress up in my ball gown and very sexy heels!!! It was the 100th anniversary of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada as well as the Royal Canadian Navy. We had a great evening, even if it was a bit long. And it is always fun to stay at a hotel downtown and just have a nice time.

I got the results of the CT scan which was one of the last things that I had done through the BC Cancer Agency. They sure weren’t what I was expecting. There are a lot of new spots and the ones that were there had grown. You know it is not good when your doctor calls you on your cell to tell you the news. I told Gary that I would not be coming back to the clinic and that I was going to see Dr. Klimo. I have had two chemo treatments so far with him and am pleased with how things are going. Other than with the insurance company, but that is a whole different ball game. When I went for chemo on Friday, my RBC was low, so I was immediately put on an immune system booster – damn expensive stuff I might add! $1000 for 5 little vials. Thankfully my insurance does cover 70% of it and the Victory Program covers the other 30%. I had a great nurse, Karen and she was a lot of fun and so helpful in explaining new drugs. I am booked till mid August for my chemos, so hopefully between now and then will have had a few CT scans and get good results. Even a small amount of shrinkage will be a welcome bit of news! The hospital (Lions Gate) changed my nausea meds and has me on new meds to be taken the day of the chemo and for two days afterwards. And my family doctor put me on new pain meds which work like a charm. Really happy with that.

This weekend has been busy. Saw Stars on Ice (Canadian version) on Friday night, with Patrick. And then Saturday, on a boat cruise with Shannon for the Canadian Cancer Society Volunteer Appreciation. The weather was perfect – sunny and warm. Then a wee meander through the public market on Granville Island for some cheeses and meat for Shannon’s dinner. Then last night Brian and I went to see Celtic Women – awesome performance. They sing like angels.

Starting to get donations for the silent auction for the Relay for Life on Jun 5. Chantal made and donated a beautiful afghan. Cooks ‘n Corks are donating a gift basket as she has in the past. And Just Fine Wines is also donating a gift basket. We are slowly getting our team together – we have one full team of 15 and working on the 2nd team. Can’t wait – it will be a lot of fun. This will be my last year working on the steering committee for the relay – time for some new blood to come in and take over from the group that has been together for at least 6 years.

My garden is starting to look pretty – some of the flowers are huge this year, as you can see from some of the pictures. I think I am winning the battle with the clover in the front garden – try and go out every couple of days and yank some of it out. I think in the fall, we will pull up all the bulbs and then work the soil and get rid of the clover. Then replant the bulbs along with some that didn’t quite make it into the garden last year and hopefully have a stunning garden again next year.

Well, that is about it I think. Thought there was more, but guess not! Hope to see lots of comments from my friends and I will try and reply back to them all.

7 comments:

Jean said...

Very nice blog and everything sounds very hopeful. You do keep a great outlook on life - I wish everyone was as optimistic as you Ronnie. You are in our prayers and thoughts. Take Care, Love Bob and Jean.

Niki G said...

Hi Ron:

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that a good portion of your drug costs are being covered as it must be another stressor at ta time when you really don't need any more!!

Anonymous said...

My god woman - you do 'clean up' REAL good!!!! You look wonderful in that ballgown!! And your garden pics are as beautiful as any I have ever seen - does your green thumb go all the way up to your armpit? I don't think I've ever heard about clematis blooms so large.

The news regarding your CT scan must have been hard to take but I'm so glad that you have managed to get coverage for them - you don't need that kind of stress. Now that those details are taken care of, all your energy can go into supporting the work that your chemo is doing - your tumours SHALL shrink.

So glad you enjoyed the boat ride and the Celtic Woman concert - I don't think I have ever heard a purer sound.

lots of hugs and love, Mavis

Anonymous said...

I love the Balls, Chemo and Needles title!!! Creative for sure my dear.

I have your little souvenir from Florida...I hope to see you soon. The next couple of weeks are insane!!! – Actually up to relay.
Christopher has all sorts of extra things happening besides school, relay, Gaby Davis stuff...just lots and lots to do.

On May 28th I won’t be able to take you for your treatment, but if it’s every two weeks you’ll be going on the 11th then? So far that day is clear on my
calendar, let me know if you need company that date okay?

HUGS to you Roni. Keep up the good work!!!
Save a walk for me at the track on relay day okay?
Another hug...Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni, Is that a tattoo I see on your pretty little arm? The dress is a lovely design and color, you looked smashing! That means 'great'.

Can it be the 17th of May already? That was my Mom and Dad's wedding anniversary. I always think of them on that day.

How lovely of Chantal to make an afghan for your auction, you didn't say what colors?? An old friend of mine made one for me, it is multi-colored and crocheted with love. I have it over my knees when I nod off in my recliner when I am reading. Yes, I nod off, what do you expect from a 77 yr. old, with a hurtee on her knee, and a chest infection, ? rollerskates?

I am presently reading a true story about two guys who are deepsea scuba divers. They have a boat called the 'Seeker' and with about 10 other d/s scuba divers, they discover an old German Uboat from WWII on the ocean bottom, 230 feet down, off the coast of New Jersey. My son, Adam, loaned us the book and I finally got my nose into it. Most scuba divers, like Adam, dive in pairs or teams and don't go down probably more than 20 or 30 feet. The bends happen to divers who go beyond 40 ft. and don't rest for the correct amt. of time coming up. For 20 min. down at 230 ft., the diver will spend hrs. resting at least 2x. It is very interesting, isn't it?

Well, maybe not, but I thought it would give you some food for thought.
Speaking of food, I just saw a recipe on Recipes.com, for Sweet Potato and Kidney Bean Burrito and am going to have to try it. I love that kind of food.
Well, again, speaking of food, I must hie into my kitchen and start to rustle up something for my Al and me.
Sending all good thoughts, keep your chin up, etc. etc. Love Auntie Shirley

Anonymous said...

Auntie Shirley - yes it is a tattoo on my left arm. The kids bought it for me back in 2008 before we knew the cancer had come back. Shannon and Meghan also got the same one - Shannon on the top of her foot and Meghan on the inside of her ankle. Patrick was going to get the heart but we figured the pink and blue ribbon was a wiser choice.

The afghan is cream coloured.

Thanks Jean - hope you had a wonderful birthday today. And that Bob is recouping ok from his surgery and not driving you too crazy! Hope we get to see you soon!

Niki - not all the drugs are covered, having a major issue with one of my chemo drugs that the insurance company doesn't seem to want to pay for - but it will work out in the end.

Mavis - yup - throw me in a shower and I clean up real good!!! And yes, the news was hard to hear but as Dr. Klimo said, let's hope the next CT scan has better results.

Donna - yes, we will have more than one lap to walk together at the relay. I go every two weeks for my chemo - and I may use the cancer car once in a while for it - especially on days like last Friday when everything got messed up.

Had a wonderful visit today with my very good friend Bonnie - we don't get to see each other often, but when we do, we talk for hours. We are each others pink angels!

Anonymous said...

Just thinking about you and thought I'd pop in.

What's this about back spasms? A POX on your back spasms!! (that's the worst curse I can think of, except for my standard "May the fleas of a 1000 camels infest your armpits" and that certainly doesn't apply in this case) Feel free to use it liberally though if you find a situation in which it applies! Good curses like good toasts are meant to be shared. (I've often wondered exactly how many fleas that would be????)But enough of this nonsense!

Hope you have a great long weekend
love, Mavis