Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Just a small update!

Hi Everyone;

What beautiful weather we have been having here on the lower mainland - in the 20's which is nice, with a little breeze. And supposed to be like this for the next week!!!

So, have been waiting the last couple of weeks for the call to go to Vancouver General Hospital to have the portacath put in. I got the call Monday morning to say I needed to be in Wednesday at noon and the surgery would be at one in the afternoon. That was not too bad. Yeah right, they called Tuesday to say it had been bumped as the OR had been overbooked.

So, now I have to be at the hospital at 7:30am on Friday morning - leaving here around 6:45ish - yech, means getting up really early! And then the surgery is around 8:30am. So, once I am home and relaxed, will give everyone an update!

I have no details on the surgeon or the surgery. I do know how the portacath is put in - joys of the internet. It is usually done with a local - though some surgeons (and I hope the one I have) will use conscious sedation - where you are awake but asleep. Now this I like. Worried if it is just a local and I have to sneeze or twitch - they are working with my vascular system and well, you don't want a mistake!!!

Been working in my garden lots and it is getting to be pretty good looking if I do say so myself. I just got some funky plants to put in and they will go in Thursday. Also got 151 bulbs and I planted 70 of them in the front garden this afternoon and will do the rest tomorrow - all but one of them are gladiolas, the other is a perennial amaryllis so that will be interesting to see - it looks really nice on the packaging!!!

A gal used to work with in a previous job, is coming over on Sunday and taking some pictures of the garden and my kitchen for her interior design site and doing a little blurb on me and putting the link to my Relay for Life site, so if her readers wish to donate, they can do so.

And if any of the readers here wish to donate, here is the information - any and all funds are welcome!

Ok, here are the direction:

www.cancer.ca/relay

Pick province - BC
Pick community - Coquitlam
Look for Team on right side - Country Dancing Boobies
Click on my name - Veronica McIlveen
and then just donate whatever you wish. Most I have received from one person is $300 and that was kewl!!

If you don't ask, you don't get! Research, information services, support programs, advocate for public policies.

Did you know that 38% of women and 44% of men in Canada will develop cancer in their lifetime?

So, now time to go and relax and watch a little telly, then curl up in bed for a good sleep!

Ciao for now

Roni






4 comments:

Niki G said...

thanks for the update roni. and thanks for reminder about donating! it is on my to do list but a little reminder never hurts!!

Anonymous said...

I know it's selfish, but I'm glad you couldn't get your port done on Monday so we could enjoy the weather and get caught up! Was great to see you and I look forward to seeing the pics of your garden. I am confidant the portacath will get put in without a hitch!

Love, hugs, & laughter, your black humor partner in crime. Pink Lady

Kimberley Mercado said...

Hey Lady,

My little brother had to have a port put in when he was itty bitty, I think he was 4 or so. Not very fun, but it's just one of those things that need to be done on the road to getting better! I hope you are over-all doing well, and I'm glad you liked the nice weather and took such good advantage of it! Hope to come by and see the garden soon! All my love.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that they are putting in a portacath finally as that should really help the administration of the drugs.

Then you can get on with the business of knocking that Cancer the hell out of your body.

Loved the pictures of your birthday party, and love your gardens.

Remember you have friends all over the world that are rooting for you Roni.

Hugs Hugs Hugs
Daphne, from Ontario