Thursday, June 4, 2009

Chemo - what a breeze

Hi there

Thought I had a lot to report, but forgot that I already put in the info on getting the pic line in!The staples are actually on top not to the right, but shows you the rigging they use to set up the lines.


This is so much easier to get your chemo - you can move around a lot easier. And I did find out that my oncologist is not one to push the ports - so my nurse was surprised when she remembered who my doctor was. But I do wish it had been in ages ago for sure!

How is everyone like this heat? 34c is just a tad too hot for this gal...... we have had it hot for over a week and this is so early for us to have heat! But we won't complain too loudly - it could be all rain!!!

Saw Dr. P on Tuesday morning. He said the pic line was healing nicely from what he could see. He said he would book a CT scan for three weeks after the next chemo treatment which will be on June 25 - so I think that would be the week of July 13. And then decide where to go from there. He said that my blood work would be done at the Medical Day Care - which I thought was odd, but then it made sense, you want someone specialized in this way of taking blood. So, I was booked for Wednesday, June 3.

Patrick and I headed to the hospital for my 2:30 appt - we were early, so we decided to get the supplies for the Relay for Life this Saturday that I needed for the Survivor Tent and for our tent of course!

Once I was signed in and then got the hospital bracelet, we headed to the Medical Day Care unit to get hooked up. The nurse was really good which I liked! She got out her tray of goodies and the first poke hurt and she didn't get any blood which meant she would have to do it again and she felt so bad. But the second poke worked like a charm and she put in the tubing, took my blood and then taped down the tubing and such to be used for my chemo treatment on Thursday.

Well, it is Thursday and off Brian and I went to the Chemo Room. Sounds like a nightclub - well you do get cocktails, just not the type you drink! I got Donna again, I love her, she is such a blast! She was waiting for me in the waiting room. Into pod 1 I went, pick a comfy chair (yeah right) and she made sure I took my meds including a new one that is about $40 per pill. Then she started the chemo - no IV push this time. First the red devil goes in and then the other drug. And of course, I get the usual headache from the last drug - but it was almost at the end so good. All done - off come the dressings and just a bandaid for where the needle was in.

That is it for another three weeks. See Dr. P. on the 23rd of June and get the blood work the same day but an hour earlier. Then chemo on the 25th - no time yet. Sure hope it is earlier in the day - these 3:45 appts suck - you get stuck with major rush hour traffic!

Relay for Life is this Saturday, June 6!! Weather sounds like it is going to be nice for it, which is what we want. Will have a full report on it Sunday or Monday. And Ryan's birthday party is on Sunday - hard to believe he will be 2 on the 11th!

All for now......
Roni

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad this one went so well for you... Looking forward to the Relay on Saturday, I hope it isn't going to be too hot. You sure have a busy weekend ahead of you!! See you soon,
Love Rae

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the Relay Saturday Roni,raise loads!
Hope all well and have a good weekend my friend!
Loads of love and hugs from England,
Sandyxxxx

BCSugar said...

Hi Roni,

As I mentioned on FB, I'm so glad that your treatment went so well with your pic line in now... I'll bet that's a big relief, not knowing each time whether or not they'll find a good vein for your session.

Hope you don't get many side-effects this time, or at least I hope they hold off until after this upcoming busy weekend for you!

Have fun at Ryan's birthday party, and I hope you have a blast at the Relay this weekend! Remember to rest when you get a chance...

Take care, girlfriend! Love ya!

C

Niki G said...

nice gams lady!