Thursday, October 2, 2008

Round 2 - More Exciting Than Round 1!!

Seems my blogger has been a little busy, so I am updating it as people have been asking lots of questions.
Met with Dr. P. on Tuesday after I had my blood work done. Asked me how I was feeling, any fever, how the lungs were doing. He liked the new hairstyle!! He is going to reduce dose of the Docetaxel to see if I tolerate it better. He has also referred me to one of the ophthalmologists for the eye problem that won't go away - goes from eye to eye. He wants to make sure nothing serious is happening.
Seems when we filled out the disability paperwork, we both put down wrong dates for last day worked – so that is getting changed and I will get an extra two weeks of disability benefits!!!!
Asked about alkaline water - he said regular tap water is fine - just maybe add lemon to help with the metallic taste. Also asked why the cancer came back, when told 0.1% of it coming back and being told 5 years cancer free. He said it is basically luck of the draw.
Chemo treatment 2 on Wednesday, was a little more exciting - chemo nurse was Donna and was a lot of fun. She asked what had happened after treatment 1 – and filled her in on the reactions and the week long hospital visit. Then she got the IV put in and got the Docetaxel - which this time I only got 75% of the power rather than 100%. Well, the first two and a half minutes were fine - then the allergic reactions started big time..... I told her I was feeling very light-headed - almost to the point where I thought I was going to pass out - and then both Donna and Brian looked at me - I was fire engine red in the face and head - she called for one of the other nurses Darlene and all of a sudden I am surrounded by a RN and a doctor. And then the really bad lower back pain started. And all during this, there are tears – think more from fear than anything else. They stopped the drug immediately. I got two injections via IV of Benadryl and then they gave me hydro-cortisone via IV and after that stopped they waited 10 minutes and the started the Docetaxel again. This also messed up the emotions - I looked over at the book shelf, and there was a Willow Tree statue that Shannon gave me when I got breast cancer 7 years ago - well the tears started.... Brian told me to breathe! Donna said this is quite common - the emotions for all over the map and to just let them out. This happened a few times during the day - when talking to Meghan in the restaurant and to Shannon on the phone. But we made it through and that is what is important.

Ryan and Gammie after the hair went

Donna putting the IV in


Trying to relax after the allergi reaction

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Roni - I'm so sorry that you are having these allergic reactions - as if the stress of chemo isn't enough for you. So glad your doctor is being vigilant with your eyes and that you actually get more disability benefits than originally expected.

It may sound redundant, but you are in my thoughts daily - wishing you restful sleep and a complete recovery.

hugs, Mavis

Anonymous said...

You have done amazingly well, you are strong and brave. Tears, are ok, it is frightening, going through all you've gone through. You still inspire me everyday, When I think I can't face another surgery, I remember your strenghth. Stay on top of the disability people...lol I have issues with them from time to time. Take care Roni...hugs Sandra.

Anonymous said...

Roni - tears are okay because we/you are alive and have emotions. Let them come when they need to (teara and any all emotions). It's what makes us human. Bottling things up is not good.

Sorry to hear about the terrible reaction though - holy crap the thought of everything is bad enought without this. I am confidant with the attitude you have displayed thus far, they will figure out what will work for you.

Be strong my dear. I think of you often, my angel of courage. Wish I could be there to give you a hug in person. You are an avid computer nut so here's a virtual hug for you. Feel it wrap you in warmth and gain some of the strength you gave me in my time of need. Thought of you during the CIBC Run for a Cure today. It was an amazing, emotional time. I loved it, like you.

Love & laughter babe, Bonnie