Monday, September 8, 2008

Scans, Drugs and Chemo!

Hi everyone

Yep - it is me again! Figured I would do this one seeing as it is all in my head at the moment - and the fact that Meghan has a ton of homework to do!

I went to the Look Good Feel Better program this morning - what a hoot! Way more fun then when I did it 7 years ago! The cancer patients were so great and lots of fun. The instructors were also a lot of fun! My friend Kim came with me - and she will have to remember how to do some of the funky head covering stuff! The makeup is pretty general - we all know how to put it on.... and it is even more interesting as a lot of the donated makeup is stuff you have not used. I got some great products - Mac, Avon, Estee Lauder, CoverGirl, Mary Kay and those are only the ones I can think of off the top of my head! But all the women in the group looked beautiful after the makeup applications - actually, we looked beautiful beforehand as well! Then it was on to wigs - well we had fun - there were wigs being passed around, tried on and laughed at. One of the gals, who has a beautiful wig on that looked so natural said, if you bake - be careful - LOL - the synthetic wigs will frizzle - same goes for the bbq! Good advice. Then they went onto general head coverings and how to apply them to look good!

The best one was how to make a head covering out of a pair of spandex capris - stop laughing - mind you, we all laughed too. How can a pair of pants look good on your head? I may just have to get a pair (a youths) and do it and get a picture on here - it looked so good on the mannequin and easy to do! Now what I want to know, who thought a pair of pants would look great on a woman's head?

Then it was off for blood work - they took 6 tubes today - but that is OK, I am now good for another three weeks.

Brian met up with me at the clinic and we went to see Dr. P. He said the bone scan came back OK, that there had been a rib injury at some point - and I know I never broke a rib. Maybe when I was coughing and barking a lot before surgery did some damage. Not sure if this was from the bone scan or the ct scan, but there was something showing on the upper breast bone. Dr. P. said that they are not concerned about it, that is was not cancer - that was a relief. He then gave me the Rx for the two drugs I needed to purchase - Dexamethasone - this will look after nausea, fluid retention and allergic reactions. I take 4 pills the day before the chemo, two the morning of chemo and two in then evening and then 4 the next day. He also gave me another one for nausea and only if I need it - Metoclop - hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones that won't need it.

I go for the chemo on September 10 at 10am. Takes about one and a half hours to get the medication into my system. The first session will take longer, as they also teach you some stuff that wasn't taught at the Chemo Teach session. Brian will come in with me for this and Meghan will come and meet us at the clinic and come home with me - Brian doesn't want me alone the first day - in case of any reactions. And then the next cycle is October 1st and I will see Dr. P the day before to see how I am doing and to also do the bloodwork again.

Once I have done three cycles, then I will have a ct scan to see how the tumors are shrinking and because if is just a regular scan, no contrast dye will be needed - wahoooo! And this will give the oncologist a good idea as to how the drugs are doing. And they will do one again at the end of cycle 6.

So, the roller coaster ride is about to begin! Have had two people offer to make some meals (subtle, aren't I!!) and one is coming tomorrow and the other on Saturday - thank you to both of these very special people!!

There may be a post later this week - shall just have to wait and see!!!

Ciao for now.....

Roni

4 comments:

Daphne said...

Roni, that Brian is one hell of a wonderful guy. Wow. He's a keeper for sure.

In your latest blog, you almost make having Cancer sound like being in a fun club. What a great attitude you have. If ever, I get Cancer, and with my family history, it is a real possibility, I hope I can attack it like you are doing. You have the strength of hundreds of people and I am so impressed.

I am sending lots of hugs to you from the east, so when you are having one of your tired days, just collect one of my hugs and try it on.

all my best wishes
Daphne

Anonymous said...

Hi Roni and Brian , together you are a team no one and nothing can beat! You have love and courage like I have not seen in along time. Roni, you are not alone..you have a strong team and cheering section, with you every step of the way. Some days will be harder than others, on those days you call on whom ever you need. You continue to an inspiration everyday. love and hugs from Edmonton...Sandra erickson

Anonymous said...

TEAM RONI

It is time.

The lines have been drawn, the field defined.

AT 1000 hrs on Wednesday Team Roni goes on the offensive. The hurry up and wait, the tests, the recon, the battle plan… it is all done. To this point we have allowed cancer to have a free hand, we are now, finally, positioned to fight back and trust me, we are going to fight. Lock and load Team, we are going to beat this.

I have to share with you some personal information, in fact it may venture into TMI, but you are part of the team and that comes with some responsibility…you may, at times, be called upon to be a vent, an inspiration, a firm hand, a soft shoulder, a voice of reason, someone Roni or I can share with.

Roni is scared and not without cause. She knows this is not going to be a stroll in the park. She met breast cancer face to face and at the cost of one of her breasts, and on medical opinion, believed she had beaten it. Now it is back, metastasized and determined to claim it’s due.

To date, there is no cure for metastasized cancer but Roni’s momma didn’t raise no quitters.

I am scared. I have never had to face this type of situation. Roni and I are not the same blood type so if the need for blood or marrow arises; I have no gift to give. I have accepted the fact that Roni’s life may be shortened by this disease but my own view of mortality and my belief in a Supreme Being will see us through. Regardless, we both need the Team!!

At 10AM tomorrow we all become Cancer Warriors! How ‘bout it? You up for fight?

Ok Team Roni here is the facts we know. The particular variety of chemical warfare that Roni is going to be subjected to may have side effects. These vary with each patient but one that is guaranteed is the hair loss. She already has a plan for that one. As you know from the blog she has a wig and at the 1st sign of hair loss Megz will come and shave her bald. Sorry cancer, no quarter asked or taken, you ain’t getting the satisfaction of taking her hair as we open up a whole can of whoop ass on you.

Nausea is a possibility as a result of the chemo but she has anti-nausea drugs to combat that.

Fatigue is a real possibility so if there are days when Roni is just not up to it, don’t take it personal. Every three weeks Roni will get a fresh dose so it shouldn’t take long before we establish a cycle of good days and bad.

Most importantly, do not sit at your desk, in your car or at home and think to yourself, “I wonder how Roni is doing?” Please check the blog and then pick up the phone, email, snail mail, Facebook, MSN... get in touch! Let her know she is not alone, that her Team stands strong and is in full support of her mission. Remember: It does not matter what you say but it matters greatly that you say something, hold her hand, share a laugh or a tear or just a place of calm in a storm. Any person can stand the helm in calm weather; a little courage shared goes a long way.

Ok now. Let’s go! Team Roni is up for it! Now it is our time! Look out cancer...we’re coming!

BEATING CANCER IS A TEAM SPORT...GET ON A TEAM


Brian

Anonymous said...

Brian - how fitting that you should post your TEAM blog on my birthday. I have tears in my eyes. I am so honored to be included on this team. I can't begin to express how I feel but thanks for everyone for your inspiration

Here is a quote for you: ENTHUSIASM - Energy flows all around us when we let our excitement show.

Now, it's not that anyone is excited about cancer by any stretch but energy is needed and you and the team are going to create an explosion of energy and whoop ass!!! I'd be scared if I was Roni's cancer.

Hugs, Breast Friend Bonnie